Procedure #3013.9; Rev.: 0 (Effective May 8, 2017)
Related Policy: UW-3013 Purchasing Card Policy
Functional Owner: Accounting Services, Division of Business Services
Contact: Purchasing Card Program Administrator: (608) 262-3300, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Procedure statement
- Who is affected by this procedure
- Contact roles and responsibilities
- Related references
I. Procedure statement
The UW–Madison department purchasing card is a VISA card issued through and supported by U.S. Bank. The card is sponsored by the employing department and is authorized for use for UW-Madison business only. The Purchasing Card Program Office in the Division of Business Services administers the Purchasing Card Program. To obtain a department purchasing card, an employee must complete an application and complete mandatory training. All applications are subject to the approval of the applicant’s supervisor, site manager, Divisional Chief Financial Officer, Purchasing Card Program Administrator, and in some cases, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs. After receiving a department purchasing card, the employee must activate the card in Access Online. Details are outlined below.
II. Who is affected by this procedure
Employees who apply for department purchasing cards; site managers; Divisional Chief Financial Officers; the Division of Business Services Purchasing Card Program Administrator; Research and Sponsored Programs staff.
- Card application: To apply for a department purchasing card, an employee must complete the Department Purchasing Card Application. The application must be routed for the following required approvals.
- Approval Process:
- Supervisor approval: The supervisor reviews and approves the application.
- Site manager approval: The site manager reviews and approves the application.
- Divisional Business Office approval: The Divisional Chief Financial Officer reviews and approves the application.
- Office of Research and Sponsored Programs approval (only required if default funding includes a sponsored project): The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs reviews the application and approves the use of sponsored funding (133/144) for the default funding source.
- Purchasing Card Program Administrator approval: The Purchasing Card Program Administrator reviews the application and confirms whether the applicant is eligible to receive a department purchasing card based on prior audit or monitoring findings. If the applicant is ineligible, the Purchasing Card Program Administrator notifies the applicant, the site manager, and the Divisional Chief Financial Officer that the application was not approved. If the applicant is eligible, the Purchasing Card Program Administrator verifies the applicant has completed the required training. If the applicant has not completed the required training, the Purchasing Card Program Administrator notifies the applicant of the training requirements and retains the application without ordering the department purchasing card from U.S. Bank. If the applicant has completed the required training, the Purchasing Card Program Administrator approves the application and orders the card from U.S. Bank.
- Training: Before the Purchasing Card Program Administrator orders a department purchasing card from U.S. Bank, the applicant must attend Purchasing Card Policies and Procedures training. Registration is available on the Purchasing Card web page’s Training section. In addition, the applicant must complete an online course specific to the use of a department purchasing card. The Purchasing Card Program Administrator will enroll the applicant in the course upon receipt of the applicant’s approved Department Purchasing Card Application. It is recommended the applicant complete Purchasing Card Policies & Procedures training prior to Department Purchasing Card training.
- Card distribution: U.S. Bank mails the purchasing card directly to the applicant at the address indicated on the Department Purchasing Card Application.
- Card activation: Cards may be activated online or via phone:
- Visit the U.S. Bank Access Online site and click Activate Your Card.
- Enter the requested information (card number, expiration date, last 4 digits of business phone number).
- The cardholder will be sent two emails to the email address on file for the account, one with a unique activation link and another with an activation code. Follow the link in the first email to enter the code from the second email. The link and activation code are valid for 20 minutes. If this time lapses, the cardholder should begin the process again.
- Contact U.S. Bank Customer Service at (800) 344-5696.
- When prompted for the last four digits of the Social Security Number or Employee ID, enter four zeroes (0000).
- Real-Time Alerts: To enroll in real time alerts via text message or email, see Procedure 3013.8 – How to Enroll in Real-Time Alerts.
IV. Contact roles and responsibilities
- Applicant/Department Card Administrator/Cardholder: responsible for applying, enrolling in and completing the mandatory purchasing card training, activating the card, and enrolling in real-time alerts if desired.
- Supervisor: responsible for reviewing and approving the application.
- Site manager: responsible for reviewing and approving the application (review includes default funding and credit limits) and reviewing all card activity.
- Divisional Chief Financial Officer: responsible for reviewing and approving the application (review includes default funding and credit limits).
- Office of Research and Sponsored Programs: responsible for reviewing the application and approving the use of sponsored funds (133/144) as the default funding source.
- Purchasing Card Program Administrator: responsible for reviewing the application for eligibility, ordering the card from U.S. Bank, training, and retaining documentation.
- U.S. Bank: responsible for processing the card request, producing the card, and sending the card to the applicant.
- Access Online: U.S. Bank’s web-based transaction management tool used by the Purchasing Card Program Administrator to maintain the purchasing card program at UW–Madison and by purchasing cardholders to manage account settings.
- Site manager: the individual who manages purchasing cards at the departmental or divisional level.
- Purchasing Card Program Administrator: the individual appointed by the Accounting Services unit in the Division of Business Services to manage, coordinate, and control purchasing cards for campus.
VI. Related references
|Date Approved||May 8, 2017|
|Revision Dates||January 19, 2021 – Updated Procedure Number to 3013.9 from 300.9
December 11, 2021 – Purchasing Card Module implementation