UW-Madison Administrative Policy
Policy # 302
Cash Advances Policy
Policy Contact: Travelers and departmental staff should contact their respective Divisional Business Office for policy or procedural questions. Divisional Business Offices may contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Statement of Policy
Whenever possible, employees should utilize university purchasing cards, the personal-liability My Corporate Card, or personal funds (e.g. cash, personal credit cards) to pay for UW-Madison travel-related expenses. When the above payment methods are not practical or the expenses are not allowable on a purchasing card, the employee may seek to obtain a cash advance in one of two ways:
1. My Corporate Card Cash Advance
- The ability to take a cash advance on a My Corporate Card requires formal, pre-approval from the card program manager. If you have a valid business need for a cash advance (e.g. obtaining local currency while traveling abroad), please send an activation request, including an explanation for the cash advance, to Meghann Grove. Please allow one week for processing.Note: If you have abeen approved for My Corporate Card cash advances, the following applies:
- Cash advance percentages are deducted from the total credit amount available each cycle (e.g. $5,000 credit limit with 10% cash = $500 set aside for cash advances = available balance of $4,500 each cycle)
- Cash advances on the My Corporate Card can be obtained at any ATM.
- A 2% transaction fee is assessed for all cash advances. ATM/cash advance fees are reimbursable at the discretion of the Divisional Business Office.
- Interest will be charged 60 days after the date of the cash withdrawal if payment has not been received.
2. e-Reimbursement Cash Advance
- In order to obtain a Cash Advance, the individual must be approved by the Divisional Business Office and their account activated by Accounting Services. This is done by completing the Cash Advance Activation/Deactivation Request Form. Please see How to Request an e-Reimbursement Cash Advance (Traveler Role) for more information.
- Employees will receive e-Reimbursement Cash Advances by the same method as their paycheck. Non-employees will be paid by paper check.
- e-Reimbursement Cash Advances must be claimed and/or repaid in e-Reimbursement within 30 days of the end of the trip.
- An individual may only have one outstanding e-Reimbursement Cash Advance at a time, unless there are extenuating documented circumstances.
- For individual travel, e-Reimbursement Cash Advances may not exceed 80% of the estimated expenses to be paid by the traveler. Advances for group travel may equal 100% of the estimated expenses.