UW-Madison Administrative Policy
Policy # 315
Effective Date: Oct 1, 2015
Last Updated: July 1, 2019
Last Reviewed: Julty 1, 2019
Next Review: Jan 1, 2019
Functional Owner: Controller, Division of Business Services, Dan Langer
Executive Sponsor: Associate Vice Chancellor, Division of Business Services, Dan Langer
Policy Contact: Travelers and departmental staff should contact their respective Divisional Business Office for policy questions. Divisional Business Offices may contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Payment/reimbursement will be limited to the lowest cost means of public or commercial transportation.
Who This Policy Applies To
Faculty, staff, students, and non-employees traveling or using funds and/or resources administered by the University.
The University has a managed travel program. The travel policy and approval process is designed to ensure prudent usage of University resources while minimizing the administrative burden for travelers and support staff.
I. Train travel. Train travel is limited to coach class unless traveling overnight, when accommodations are limited to a roomette.
II. Ride Sharing Services. Travelers can be reimbursed for their use of ride sharing services (e.g. Uber, Lyft) while in travel status. Use of premium ride sharing services (e.g. Uber Select, Lyft Premier) is not reimbursable.
III. Tips. Tips for drivers are limited to 20% of the total fare.
IV. Payment Methods. Individual ground transportation costs may be paid with personal funds, the purchasing card or the My Corporate Card.
V. Receipt/Documentation Requirements. Receipts are required for the payment/reimbursement of ground transportation costs unless claiming reimbursement for expenses of $25 or less. Supporting documentation must reference the purpose of the trip and the departing location/destination.
Consequences for Noncompliance
Failure to comply with UW-Madison Travel Policy or Procedures may result in disciplinary steps, up to and including dismissal.
- Public/Commercial Transportation – buses, trains, subways, and other forms of transportation that charge set fares, run on fixed routes, and are available to the public.
- Ride Sharing Service – a car service with which a person uses a smartphone application to arrange a ride in a privately owned vehicle.
- Traveler/Travel Arranger –
- Research and utilize the most cost effective ground transportation option.
- Utilize contract vendors for regional bus transportation.
- Retaining all necessary supporting documentation for payment/reimbursement.
Link to Related Policy
Link to Related Policies
Policy Number: 315