322 Non-Payable/Reimbursable Expenses

UW-Madison Administrative Policy
Policy # 322
International Travel Policy

Effective Date: October 1,2015
Last Updated: July 1, 2019
Last Reviewed: Jul;y 1, 2019
Next Review: January 1,020

Functional Owner: Associate Vice Chancellor, Division of Business Services, Dan Langer
Executive Sponsor: Associate Vice Chancellor, Division of Business Services, Dan Langer
Policy Contact: Travelers and departmental staff should contact their respective Divisional Business Office for policy questions. Divisional Business Offices may e-mail uwtravel@bussvc.wisc.edu with questions.

Policy Summary

This policy documents expenses not payable or reimbursable by the University.  The list is not all inclusive.

Note: Sponsored projects (e.g., fund 144 or 133) are subject to the terms and conditions of the specific award, as well as applicable program guidelines, which may restrict use of funds for certain types of expenses.  Please contact the RSP accountant for your award with any questions.

Who This Policy Applies To

Faculty, staff, students and non-employees traveling or using funds and/or resources administered by the University.

Policy Detail

I. Following is a list of expenses which are not payable or reimbursable with University funds:

    1. Expenses which do not have a UW-Madison business purpose
    2. Professional License Fees
    3. Late payment penalties and interest on My Corporate Card
    4. Items that require a receipt and no receipt showing payment is provided
    5. Alcoholic beverages
    6. Spouse or family member’s travel costs (Chancellor’s and President’s spouse and host may be allowable with justification and proper approval)
    7. Personal telephone calls, personal internet charges, personal fax charges
    8. Lost/stolen cash or personal property
    9. Personal items and services, (e.g. toiletries, luggage, clothes, haircuts, etc.)
    10. Avoidable expenses for non-business related activities, such as sightseeing tours, golf outings, etc.
    11. Traffic citations, parking tickets and other fines
    12. Extra fuel costs incurred to have a vehicle rental vendors refuel vehicles at above market fuel rates
    13. Additional charges incurred for personal reasons involving vehicle rentals
    14. Locksmith charges on either fleet, rental or personal vehicle, except when fleet or rental vehicles experience mechanical problems
    15. Excess cost of circuitous or side trips for personal reasons
    16. Parking costs at the assigned workplace
    17. Repairs, towing service, lubrication, etc., for personal vehicles
    18. Meals included in the cost of airfare, registration fees
    19. Pay-per-view movies in hotel/motel room
    20. Personal entertainment
    21. Extra costs for additional person(s) in room
    22. Additional charges for late checkout or un-cancelled guaranteed reservations (unless justified)
    23. Lodging cost at unlicensed facilities
    24. Lodging within 50 miles of the headquarters city (unless properly justified and approved)
    25. Extra baggage charges for personal items, such as golf clubs, skis, etc.
    26. Airline, car, hotel, and corporate card club membership dues
    27. Childcare or other dependent costs
    28. Kennel fees
    29. Greeting cards
    30. Decorative Items – The purchase of decorative items (plants, paintings, flowers, etc.) from University-administered funds is allowable only if the items are placed in a general reception area frequented by students and/or the general public. Additionally, decorative items may be purchased for an event if the participant’s fees cover payment for the items. The purchase of items placed in employee lounges, assigned offices or other work areas are not allowable.
    31. Appliances for break rooms (e.g. microwaves, refrigerators, coffee makers) are allowable if they are part of an approved building project or they are replacing existing, faulty appliances. Appliances for individual use in private offices are not allowed.
    32. Flight insurance
    33. Trip insurance
    34. Services paid directly to an individual by the University are allowable; however, due to the tax implications, services may not be paid by employees out of pocket and then claimed for reimbursement.
    35. House hunting expenses
    36. Expenses associated with fundraising/development
    37. Expenses incurred for an employee’s spouse, except as allowed for in certain circumstances. Contact uwtravel@bussvc.wisc.edu for more information.

Consequences for Noncompliance

The University will not pay or reimburse for any cost that is non-compliant with this policy.  Failure to comply with UW-Madison policy or procedures may result in disciplinary steps, up to and including dismissal.


Policy Number: 322
Date Approved
Revision Dates