Use this form to create a Direct Payment (DP) to individual non-employees who are vendors, companies (including LLCs), institutions, and organizations that provide an invoice.
When to use the Direct Payment (DP) Form
Use the Direct Payment (DP) form to make payments when an invoice is provided by the following:
- Individual non-employee
- Company (including LLCs)
- Institution (Do not use the DP form to pay UW-Madison departments or other UW campuses.)
The following criteria must be followed:
- Submit only one invoice per DP form.
- Best judgment purchases ($5,000 or less) must comply with the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s purchasing policies and procedures, accounting policies and procedures, and with extramural funding agency restrictions.
- UW-Madison requires that a completed and signed form W-9 (or W-8BEN-E for Foreign Businesses) be on file in Disbursements for all payments requested on Direct Payments (DP).
- Non-U.S. Source Income payments are exempt from tax withholding and reporting. For details on what constitutes Non-U.S. Source Income payments please refer to Federal Tax Withholding under the section on Non-U.S. Source Income. A W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E still must be on file in Disbursements.
- Additional SFS Account code information is available on our Codes guide.
- Include link to ShopUW+ Essentials DP form tutorial and ShopUW+ DP form?
When not to use the Direct Payment Form
- Payments to individual non-employees for services, payments to human research subjects and payments on entertainment contracts must be done on the Payment to Individual Report (PIR).
- Reimbursement for travel and expenses to individuals (employees and non-employees) must be done through the e-Reimbursement
- Use Purchasing Card guidelines for acceptable and non-acceptable purchases.
Shop@UW+ Direct Payment Form Instructions
This form is not to be used to pay UW Students, UW Employees, or Refunds.
Auto-Reject: Please note that this form will auto-reject if you are requesting a DP greater than $5,000 AND you select “Other” as the category for this purchase on the “Questions” tab. You will need to use a Purchase Order – please complete a purchase requisition or use the Non-Conforming PO form (if you have already made a purchase) to have your payment processed – please read the instructions on the Non-Conforming PO form for more information.
Complete all required fields (will be indicated by an asterisk *) and attach the appropriate documentation (invoice, relevant contracts, application forms, registration forms, other supporting documentation, wire transfer form) necessary to process the payment request. DO NOT ATTACH W-8 OR W-9 WITH SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS TO THIS FORM.
Supplier Instructions: If you need to update a supplier currently in ShopUW+ or create a new supplier, you will need to follow the supplier request process for your campus. Please consult the business services website for your campus for further instruction.
Questions regarding this form should be directed to email@example.com
Finding the Direct Payments Form in ShopUW+
- After you Login, Click on “Shop” on the left-hand side.
- Next, click on “Shopping” in the fly-out menu
- Click “View Favorites”. You will see all the forms you have access to in ShopUW+. If you need access to a form that is not listed please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org