This form is used for a department billing for goods or services it has provided.
Inter Departmental Billing Form Instructions
(Last updated: February 8, 2010)
Please take a minute to review the instructions to reduce errors, prevent send backs, and expedite the processing of these forms.
- Departments may complete an Interdepartmental Billing Form to transfer money for goods and services being billed to another UW-Madison department.
- Do NOT use this form to:
- Process honorariums or other overload payments for faculty and staff—payments that should be processed through payroll or involve a 1099 to document income
- Pay third party student tuition payments.
Steps to complete the form
- Complete the three required fields in the top section of the form.
- Prepared By
- Department Name and #
- Phone #
- Other billing details, Email Address, Date of Request, Fiscal Year, and Billing Details are optional
- Enter the appropriate coding string in the Debit and Credit sections of the form. Note: Only one line for each coding string is necessary unless you wish to see details in WISDM.
- 6-digit Dept ID
- 3-digit Fund
- 1-digit Program
- Payments involving projects include a 7-digit Project code
- 4-digit Account code
- 5-digit Class (Bldg#) — optional
- Fill out the rest of the fields in the main body of the form.
- Amount—form will format number as positive (+) for Debit and negative (-) for Credit
- Description — displays in WISDM (e.g., Copy Charges for October)
- Journal Ref — optional
- Reference # — optional; some departments use for internal reference number
- Voucher ID — optional
- Invoice # — optional; some departments choose to attach an invoice and reference the number
- The form is formatted to automatically calculate the Total Debits and Total Credits fields.
- The amount fields are already formatted to display dollar signs, commas, and plus/minus signs so there is no need to enter them.
- Check to ensure the Total Credits field is a negative (-) number.
- If you run out of room, insert more rows.
- The “Add Debit Row” and “Add Credit Row” buttons are macros and may not function in newer versions of Excel for the PC or Mac.
- Use Insert>Row options from the menu if the buttons do not work.
- Print the form and send a hardcopy to Accounting Services, 21 N. Park, Suite 5301.
Questions regarding this form should be directed to Disbursement Services.