Internal Third Party

Also referred to internal third party deferrals or contracts, this process credits a student’s tuition account with funds that will be paid by a UW-Madison department.

There are two types of third party payments at UW-Madison: internal and external.  External payment contracts made on behalf of the student from a sponsor or organization outside of UW-Madison require a specific authorization and payment process.

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.


Departments determine eligibility. Departments determine their own policy on what portion of tuition and/or fees they will authorize as an Internal Third Party Contract. When a UW-Madison department acts as a Third Party, they are authorizing the Bursar’s Office to defer all or a specific portion of a student’s tuition and/or fees and invoice the department. Third party deferrals have more set-up options and more processing controls than Scholarships.

 Once a department has determined that a student qualifies for a third party contract take the following steps:

  1. Department will submit the Internal Third Party Authorization Form (Link to Form) . Determine which Internal Third Party Authorization Form should be used for your students.
    1. Internal Third Party Authorization Form— Non-Employees
      This form is to be used for students receiving internal third party tuition deferrals. If an individual is an employee with the University (excluding TA, PA, RA, LSA, Fellows, a student hourly employee, an Asst Faculty Assoc, or a Post Doc Trainee) the individual should not be included on this form. (Post Grad Trainees are employees.) By submitting this form you are verifying that UW Madison employees are not included in the list.
    2. Internal Third Party Authorization Form— Employees
      This form is intended to be used for employees that are enrolled in a course for job-related training only. To qualify as job-related, the training/course must be: Required by the employer or required as a condition to the retention of an established position or status (e.g., continuing professional education courses), taken to maintain or improve skills required in the employee’s present work, or Post Grad Trainees (Post Doc Trainees are non-employee).
  2. The Bursar’s Office reviews the file, prepares the file, and posts the information directly to the student’s tuition account through the third party contract. This contract will defer the tuition from the student’s account to the organization’s account.
    1. If any portion of the student’s tuition and fees is not covered by a third party contract and/or remission, the student must pay the remaining balance before the tuition due date in order to avoid a late payment fee.
    2. Third Party credits posted to student accounts with active financial aid will not be refunded until the Financial Aid Office has an opportunity to review the student’s aid and repackage it per federal regulations.
  3. The Bursar’s Office then generates Third Party Tuition Invoices after the last add or drop date for the students.

The Departments are expected to submit payment (link to payment instructions) as soon as possible (within 60 days of receiving the Third Party Invoice).


Internal third party payments are contracts made on behalf of the student by UW-Madison departments. Internal third party contracts specify:

Type of tuition and fees | Payment amount | Term | Students receiving deferral

  • Submit a separate form for each semester. Do not mix terms.
  • Submit a separate form if you intend to have more than one contract for the term.
  • Download a new spreadsheet each semester.
  • Spring semester third party deferrals do not automatically rollover to Summer, a new Summer form must be submitted.

Due Dates

Receiving timely authorizations allows students to receive their financial aid refund – meant to cover living expenses- as early as Federal Regulations permit.  It is understood that sometimes appointments cannot be made until immediately before or after the start of the term. In such cases, notify the Bursar’s Student Account Office as soon as the appointment is made.

(These dates are the same as Tuition Remission)

Internal Third Party Authorization Form

How to Upload Third Party Authorization to Secure Site

Pay an Internal Third Party Invoice

Internal Third Party Invoices (excel workbook) will be sent via email to our contacts at each Department. The Invoice workbook will contain four tabs; Invoice, InterDeptForm, InterDeptForm (2), & Instructions

  1. Validate the accounting string you are using for payment.
  2. Audit the invoice closely. Check for  1. 2. 3. If a remission is added or changed for a student, notify the department that is responsible for the Third Party Payment.
  3. Read the instructions included within the payment instructions workbook. We have updated the payment instructions. When sending Third Party deferral payments, please include one workbook per e-mail. Email subject line should be Term, Corp Account Number, and Contract Number. When naming the file, please include the Term, Corp Account Number, and Contract Number for the payment in the file name. Subject line and file name is necessary to improve processing within RSP and the Bursar’s Office.

If a student fails to enroll

If a student fails to enroll, no charges are created and the Third Party Deferral will not post.

If a student enrolls and then withdraws, then:

  1. The department has already made payment; the department will be refunded the payment amount if all charges are dropped.
  2. The student withdraws after the drop date and the student still has charges, the department will not be refunded the payment amount unless the department submits a Third Party cancellation.


Call the Bursar's Office - Third Party

Phone: (608) 262-3612

Find the Bursar's Office

333 East Campus Mall #10501
Madison, WI 53715-1383

Third Party FAQs

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What is an Internal Third Party Authorization Form?

A Letter of Authorization from the sponsor is required to document the sponsor’s commitment to pay designated education expenses for a sponsored student. This document can be a purchase order, standard form from your employer, Financial Guarantee, or a tuition assistance contract on company letterhead. (A third party deferral contract will not be accepted if it restricts payment or is in any way conditional.)

Where do I get an Internal Third Party Authorization Form?

An Internal Third Party Authorization Form must be provided by your employer or sponsor. Please check with your human resources department or Education Officer to confirm the process for applying tuition assistance.

What kind of information must be listed on the Internal Third Party Authorization Form?

  • Be written in English on the organization/company’s official letterhead.
  • A specific description of fees, charges, and the amount to be assumed by your organization, such as tuition and mandatory fees, late registration fees, or late payment fees. No credit will be granted for fees unless specified.
  • Student’s name and UW Campus id or last four digits of SSN# (XXX-XX-9999).
  • Each authorization will be valid for one semester unless otherwise specified (specific timeframe or specific semesters).
  • The signature, telephone number, and email of the authorizing official.
  • The billing address;
    • Organization Billing name
    • Organization physical location; street, city, state, country, & postal code
  • How payment will be made (by check or wire transfer).
  • Special Instructions (for requests that we are able to accommodate).

Where should I send my Internal Third Party Authorization Form?

  • E-mail (preferred): Please email your Third Party Authorization Form to
  • Hard Copy can be dropped off at:Bursar’s Office – Third Party Billing
    333 East Campus Mall #10501
    Madison, WI 53715-1383
  • Fax: If fax is the only way you can submit your tuition assistance form, please fax it to 608-265-3201.

What should I do if I don't have the Internal Third Party Authorization Form by the payment due date?

If you do not have an Internal Third Party Authorization Form when you register or by the payment due date, please make payment arrangements to pay the bill in full.

When can I expect my Internal Third Party Authorization Form to be processed?

An Internal Third Party Authorization Form will be processed within 48 hours of receipt. If your account does not reflect the third party deferral credit after 72 hours, please call us at 608-262-3612.

When will you send the bill or invoice to my sponsor for payment?

Invoices will be sent to your sponsor after the add/drop period, which is about a month after the class start date (unless the sponsor requests the invoices to be forwarded sooner).

Does University of Wisconsin Madison accept tuition reimbursement agreements as proof of payment?

No. Tuition reimbursement is an arrangement between you and your employer. You are responsible to pay your tuition by the due date regardless of whether your employer has reimbursed you.