This guide will help determine when a department can engage with suppliers directly or if the help of Purchasing Services is required.
The University of Wisconsin–Madison is subject to State of Wisconsin purchasing statutes and rules. Information on this page explains the rules for purchasing goods and services at UW–Madison.
Many items can be found at ShopUW+ or through contracted vendors. ShopUW+ is an efficient way to make business purchases and carries commonly used items such as lab supplies, office supplies, computer hardware, and maintenance, repair, and operational supplies (MRO). ShopUW+ is a university resource that saves time and money.
Purchasing Services also manages contracts for many other items and services. The contracts have been negotiated to include favorable pricing and protective terms in case issues arise.
If the product or good can’t be purchased through those methods, a more structured buying process is required.
There are three ways to buy products and goods:
- Through a contracted vendor at ShopUW+
- From a contracted vendor not at ShopUW+
- From a vendor not on contact
The purchase of services such as maintenance, instructional, research and consulting require additional considerations and require the involvement of a procurement specialist.
Items requiring special approval
Certain items require special approval before purchase. Purchase orders will not be issued for these items unless specific criteria is met first. Contact a procurement specialist for assistance.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Products and services requiring special approvals
See UW-3043 Exceptions/Approvals/Special Handling Policy for specific instructions on how to handle the special approvals.
- Alarm, Security System Installation
- Asbestos Removal
- Audio Visual Equipment Installation
- Biological Safety Cabinet/Filtered Air Devices
- Computer Equipment and Software
- Computer Software License Agreement
- Controlled Substances, (Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs)
- Graphic Equipment
- Heating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Ionic Air Purification Equipment
- Importing or Exporting Goods and Services
- Legal Services
- Logos, Indicia/Trademarks
- Motor Vehicle
- Omnibus Reconciliation Act–Medicaid/Medicare Funding
- Radioactive Materials
- Remodeling Project
- Signage (Buildings and Campus)
- Stable Isotope from U.S. Department of Energy
- Telecommunication Equipment
- Temporary Help-Contractual Services
- Weapons and Ammunition
- Explosives and exotic chemical materials
Before beginning the purchasing process, check to see if the university is allowed to purchase items from the vendor. If they appear on the following directories, they are ineligible.