Alternates are employees who serve as proxies for other employees and non-employees in e-Reimbursement. For employees, Alternates have delegated authority to create and modify Expense Reimbursements. For non-employees and recently-terminated employees, Alternates have delegated authority to create, modify and submit Expense Reimbursements.
- Current employees must add and remove their own alternates. Any employee may serve as an Alternate for any other employee. See Procedure 320.2 for instructions on how to add an Alternate.
- Even if an Alternate is used, employees are responsible for submitting their own Expense Reimbursements on time and in compliance with UW-Madison travel policies.
- Alternates can create and modify Expense Reimbursements for employees, but employees must submit their own.
- Alternates are assigned to non-employees when the non-employee profile is setup
- Alternates are responsible for ensuring non-employee Expense Reimbursements are submitted on time and in compliance with UW-Madison travel policies. Expense Reimbursements cannot be submitted more than 90 days after the trip for non-employees (see Policy 320).
- All Expense Reimbursements for non-employees must be prepared and submitted by Alternates. Non-employees do not have access to e-Reimbursement.
- Recently-terminated employees can be reimbursed for expenses using their empl ID for up to 365 days after their termination date.
- Expense Reimbursements for recently terminated employees must be prepared and submitted by Alternates. Terminated employees do not have access to e-Reimbursement.
- Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for access to submit Expense Reimbursements on behalf of recently-terminated employees. Include empl IDs for both the Alternate and the Claimant, if known.
Using e-Reimbursement as an Alternate
- Click the Expenses Tile to access a claimant’s Expense Reimbursements and MyWallet transactions.
- Click Create Expense Report to create a new Expense Reimbursement (see Procedure 320.1)
- Click Add Quick Expense to view or modify a claimant’s My Wallet expenses
- Click My Expense Reports to view a claimant’s in-process Expense Reimbursements
- Click Expense History to view a claimant’s paid or denied Expense Reimbursements and their My Wallet history.
- Once inside one of these tiles click the green arrow next to your name to change the claimant you are working for.
Queries and Tools for Alternates
All of the features mentioned below are found in the Expense WorkCenter tile. The panel along the left side has two tabs: Main and Reports/Queries.
- Main tab
- Delegate Entry Authority: this is where employees add and remove their own Alternates.
- Employee Data > Update Profile: use this search to see if a non-employee profile already exists and to see if the name and address information is still accurate.
- Reports/Queries tab
- Traveler Information > Proxy – Where are My ERs: view a list of all in-process Expense Reimbursements for all claimants whom you are an Alternate for. These are Expense Reimbursements that have been submitted, but not yet paid.
- Traveler Information > Proxy – Where are My PND ERs: view a list of all pending Expense Reimbursements for all claimants whom you are an Alternate for. These are Expense Reimbursements that have not yet been submitted or have been returned to the claimant for modification.
Queries that do not include “Proxy” are specific to the individual doing the search; they will only return your own Expense Reports. The CA (Cash Advance) and TA (Travel Authorization) searches work the same as the ER searches.
Travelers and departmental staff should contact their respective Divisional Business Office for policy or procedural questions.
Divisional Business Offices may e-mail email@example.com with questions.