Use this form to request all payments to individual non-employees.
When to use the Payment to Individual Report (PIR) Form
Payments to individuals are typically used for one-time non-repetitive payments to entertainers, instructors, speakers, and consultants.
The Payment to Individual Report form is used to request payments to individuals except salaries, employee reimbursements and payment to sub-contractors when an employee/employer relationship does not exist.
The following are acceptable uses for this form:
- Prizes and Awards (Note: payments related to a person’s employment with the university should be made through payroll)
- Research Subjects
You are strongly encouraged to submit a purchase requisition and use a PO for services. PIRs over $5,000 may be reviewed by Purchasing.
The following criteria must be followed:
- Submit only one payment per PIR form.
- UW–Madison requires a completed and signed form W-9 or W-8BEN be on file in Disbursements for all payments.
- Non-U.S. Source Income payments are exempt from tax withholding and reporting. Details on what constitutes Non-U.S. Source Income payments can be found on the Federal Tax Withholding webpage under the section on Non-U.S. Source Income. A W-8BEN must be on file in Disbursements.
- Review Non-Resident Alien Required Documents (PDF) to ensure all appropriate documents are included with PIR. (Sensitive documents will be removed after department approvals have been completed.)
- Please complete the Non-Resident Alien Payment Worksheet (Excel) to determine withholding amount, if any, and attach a copy to the PIR.
Questions regarding this form should be e-mailed to email@example.com
Finding the Payment to Individual Report Form in ShopUW+
- After you Login, Click on “Shop” on the left-hand side.
- Next, click on “Shopping” in the fly-out menu
- Click “View Favorites.” You will see all the forms you have access to in ShopUW+. If you need access to a form that is not listed please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org