Report an Automobile Incident or Accident

How to report an automobile incident at UW–Madison.

In the event of a work-related automobile incident, follow all applicable laws and these instructions for reporting to campus.

If injuries are involved

Seek medical necessary medical assistance, and call 911 first.

Notify Risk Management of any injuries as soon as possible by calling (608) 262-8926.

Report any employee injury/injuries by following Worker’s Compensation information and instructions.

Report the Incident or Accident

All automobile incidents or accidents must be reported to:

  • The local law enforcement agency.
  • One’s Supervisor/Manager/Department Administration.
  • UW–Madison Risk Management within 24 hours or, in the case of injury, as soon as possible by phone at (608) 262-8926. Leave message if no answer.
  • UW Fleet (if fleet vehicle involved).
  • Rental Vehicle company listed on the rental agreement.
  • Personal automobile  insurance carrier (if driving personal vehicle).

Complete and submit a Vehicle Incident Report

The driver and the driver’s supervisor shall complete the Vehicle Incident Report (DOA6496) for all incidents involving a State of WI UW Fleet Vehicle. A paper copy is included in the Vehicle Incident Kit located in the glove box of all UW–Madison Fleet vehicles.

Submit the completed report to Risk Management ( or Suite 5301 at 21 N. Park Street) within 24 hours.

Contact local law enforcement, request a police report, and send a copy to Risk Management. If an officer does not initiate a report and damages or injuries are involved, a Wisconsin Driver Report of Crash (DT4002) is required. Per Wisconsin Statute s. 346.70(1), any crash within the State of Wisconsin must be reported when it results in:

  • Injury of a person
  • $1,000 or more damage to any person’s vehicle or property
  • Damage of $200 or more to state or other government-owned property other than a vehicle

Risk Management will proceed to thoroughly investigate the incident and handle insurance requirements on any damages to the property of others, injury to others or damages to University property.


Risk Management's location

Risk Management
21 North Park Street, Suite 5301
Madison, WI 53715

Contact Risk Management By Phone

(608) 262-8926