Reimbursing a Non-employee

How to reimburse non-employees for travel-related expenses.

Non-employees may be reimbursed for out-of-pocket travel-related expenses in accordance with UW–Madison travel policy.

Non-employee expense reports are submitted through Shared Financial Services (SFS)/e-Reimbursement. Non-employee reimbursement requests must be submitted within 90 days of travel. Payment is made by check.

Non-Employee Travel Profile

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

How to create a profile

Create a new profile by submitting a Non-Employee Profile Setup Form in e-Reimbursement.

Log into e-Reimbursement/SFS and select the Expenses tile. Next, select the Request Non-Employee Emplid tile.

Screenshot of the Expenses section of e-Reimbursement/SFS with an arrow pointing to the Request Non-Employee EmplId tile on the lower left side.

Select Request Non-employee Emplid from the left-side menu:

Screenshot showing the menu in the New Non-employee Emplid area with an arrow pointing to the "Request Non-employee Emplid" action.

Choose either Add a New Non-employee or Update an Existing Emplid and fill in all the required fields (identified by an asterisk):

Screenshot showing the dropdown in the e-Reimbursement Non-Employee Profile Set-up Form -- an arrow points to the "Form Action Requested" and two options for adding or updating an Emplid.

See below for a screenshot of the form:

Screenshot of the whole e-Reimbursement Non-Employee Profile Set-up Form.

The form continues with the alternate information section:

Screenshot showing input area for adding employee delegates/alternates for the non-employee.

Make sure all required fields are filled and click “Submit.” You will receive a follow-up email once setup is complete.

Additional requirements for non-employee profiles of Nonresident Aliens (NRA)

The initiating department/division is responsible for obtaining, reviewing and retaining additional documents for Non-Resident Aliens prior to submitting a non-employee profile creation request and/or filing reimbursements. Documentation must be complete, accurate, legibly copied and kept on file in the initiating department/Division.


  • Do not send copies of documents to Accounting Services.
  • For Canadians only: Use a second form of picture ID in lieu of the I-94 when the visitor does not obtain an I-94.
Visa type Documents required
  • Passport
  • I-94
  • Homeland Security Stamp
  • Passport
  • I-94
  • Homeland Security Stamp
Visa Waiver Country
  • Passport
  • ESTA Authorization
  • Homeland Security Stamp
  • Passport
  • I-94
  • I-20
  • Homeland Security Stamp
  • Passport
  • I-94
  • DS-2019
  • Homeland Security Stamp


Payments for non-employee expense reports are made via check mailed to the address on the recipient’s non-employee travel profile or via wire transfer. To view payment details, go to the Expenses WorkCenter and select View Payment History from the Void/Reissue Payment menu.

Cancel/Reissue payment

To cancel and reissue a check for a lost non-employee reimbursement payment, fill out a Check Action Form. Only submit requests for payments over 30 days old or for payments with known errors.

Wire transfers

Non-employee reimbursement payments may be made via wire transfer upon request. Each wire transfer incurs a fee.

Update profile

To activate a non-employee travel profile for wire transfers, submit a Non-Employee Profile Change Request Form (or setup form for new non-employees) to Business Services. All reimbursement payments will be made by wire transfer once this change has been made.

Banking information

For each payment made via wire transfer, attach a completed Outgoing Wire/Draft Form to the expense reimbursement.


Log into Shared Financial Systems (SFS) and choose the Expenses tile. Then click on the Request Non-Employee Emplid tile to initiate a new Non-Employee profile set up or change request form.


Travelers and departmental staff should contact their Divisional Business Office for policy or procedural questions.

Divisional Business Offices may e-mail with questions.