3024.2 How to Assign an Alternate Procedure

Procedure #3024.2; Rev.: 1 (Effective May 8, 2017)
Related Policy: UW-3024 Expense Reimbursement Policy
Functional Owner: Accounting Services, Division of Business Services
Contact: Expense Reimbursement Program Manager – Allie Watters, expensereimbursement@bussvc.wisc.edu, (608) 263-3525


  1. Procedure statement
  2. Who is affected by this procedure
  3. Procedure
  4. Contact roles and responsibilities
  5. Definitions
  6. Related references
  7. Revisions

I. Procedure statement

Alternates can create expense reports on behalf of employees and non-employees and can submit expense reports on behalf of non-employees and recently-terminated employees. Current employees must submit their own expense reports, even if they were created by an alternate.

Current employees are responsible for adding and deleting their own alternates. The UW–Madison Travel Office will not assign alternates for current employees.

Back to top

II. Who is affected by this procedure

Employees who seek reimbursement for out-of-pocket or Corporate Card expenses; alternates who prepare expense reports in the Shared Financial Systems (SFS).

Back to top

III. Procedure

  1. For employees:
    1. Sign into Shared Financial System (SFS).
    2. Click the Expenses tile.
    3. Click the Delegate Entry Authority link in the links panel along the lower right-hand side of the page.
    4. Click the plus sign to add an additional row.
    5. Enter the alternate’s employee ID number in the Authorized User ID field. If you do not know the employee ID, click the magnifying glass next to the blank field, then click on Advanced Lookup. Enter the alternate’s last name in the Description field. Locate the alternate and click on their name.
    6. The Authorization Level should be “Edit.” If an employee chooses “Edit & Submit”, it will revert to “Edit.”
    7. Click Save.
  2. For non-employees: See How to Obtain or Update an e-Reimbursement Profile for a Non-Employee.
  3. For recently terminated employees: Terminated employees can be reimbursed using their employee ID for up to 365 days after their termination date. Alternates must contact the UW-Madison Travel Office to be granted access to submit expense reports for recently-terminated employees.

Back to top

IV. Contact roles and responsibilities

  • Traveler (employee)/Claimant/Recipient – the person receiving reimbursement. Employees are responsible for submitting their own expense reports in a timely fashion and following all applicable UW travel policies. An employee may assign an alternate to create and modify an expense report on their behalf, but the employee is ultimately responsible for submitting their own expense reports.
  • Alternate – responsible for creating and submitting expense reports on behalf of others. Employees who seek reimbursement can assign an alternate to create and modify expense reports for them, but the employee must submit their own. Expense reports for non-employees or recently-terminated employees are created and submitted by alternates.

Back to top

V. Definitions

  • e-Reimbursement – the Expenses module of the Shared Financial System (SFS), used to create, submit, and approve expense report claims.
  • Non-employee – an individual who does not have an active appointment at the University. Non-employees can be reimbursed for travel-related expenses through e-Reimbursement.
  • Recently-terminated employee – an employee whose last active appointment ended less than 365 days ago. Expense reports for recently-terminated employees can be submitted using their employee ID for up to 365 days after termination. To add an alternate for a recently-terminated employee, contact Accounting Services.

Back to top

VI. Related References

Back to top

VII.  Revisions

Procedure Number 3024.2
Date Approved May 8, 2017
Revision Dates Jan. 19, 2021 – Updated Procedure Number to 3024.2 from 320.2

Back to top