This form is used for cash deposits only.
Per Wisconsin State Statutes, (Chap. 20.906 Wis. Statutes), all moneys collected or received are to be deposited within 5 business days.
The Bursar’s Office is going cashless and will no longer be accepting cash deposits starting as of January 2021. Departments are responsible for depositing all cash collected or received with US Bank directly within the time frame established by Wisconsin State Statute 20.906.
All moneys collected or received from customers or vendors of the University of Wisconsin-Madison (the University) belong to the University. These moneys may not be deposited with the University of Wisconsin Foundation or to an individual’s private bank account. Moneys collected or received may not be deposited into the University’s replenishable/contingent bank accounts, including petty cash accounts and custodian fund checking accounts, or be used to purchase supplies or services.
To avoid theft or loss, it is recommended that departments deposit cash collected or received at a US Bank branch multiple times a week; however, cash collected or received must be deposited weekly at a minimum. Cash deposits must be hand delivered to a US Bank branch; they cannot be mailed to US Bank. Departments are expected to ensure appropriate cash handling procedures, management oversight and internal controls (for example separation of duties) are in place over cash deposits.
To ensure that funds are deposited appropriately and posted to your department’s funding string timely, please follow the deposit procedures below:
Recurring Cash Deposits
- Order US Bank deposit tickets and plastic bank bags from Cash Management email@example.com to make these deposits directly at a US Bank branch. These deposits will be coded to your department clearing account.
- Use the following link to view instructions on how to request your own deposit slips and plastic bank bags.
One-off Cash Deposit
- Cash will need to be deposited at a US Bank branch with a generic deposit ticket containing UW Madison banking details. Please request banking details from Cash Management firstname.lastname@example.org as these are not published. Moreover, a Cash Only Deposit Form will need to be emailed to email@example.com, this will ensure cash is coded to the appropriate accounting string. assistance.
Completing the Cash Only Deposit Form
- If the receipt relates to a refund of an expenditure, use the same funding string used for the original expenditure.
- For deposits relating to prior year Fund 101 expenditures, use the following funding string: Fund 131, Project 131A006, account code 9209.
- Any revenue deposits related to Funds 233 must be submitted with a gift routing form and donor intent documentation.
- Any revenue deposits related to Fund 161 must be submitted to UW System for deposit at 780 Regent St, Suite 305, Attn: Trust Fund Office
- All deposits using account code 9050 and 9051 require a program code to be 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or F.
- The Tax Code field is used to calculate sales tax and can only be selected for account codes beginning with 9XXX.
Note: After filling in each field, use the tab key to move to the next field.
|Contact Information (person completing form)|
|Prepared By:||Enter full name of person preparing form.|
|Department Name:||Enter full name of the department making deposit.|
|Dept ID:||Enter 6-digit department identification code.|
|Date:||Enter date the form is completed.|
|Phone No.:||Enter the preparer’s telephone number (xxx) xxx-xxxx.|
|E-mail:||Enter the preparer’s e-mail address.|
|Receipt Box:||Check the box if the deposits relate to customer payments for the sale of goods/services|
|Refund of Expense Box:||Check the box if the deposit relates to vendor payments for rebates, duplicated payments, reimbursement of travel, over payments, and/or returned merchandise.|
|Reason for Deposit:||Enter reason for the deposit.|
|Funding, Amount, and Description Fields:||Funding Fields: Codes|
|Dept:||Enter 6-digit Division/Department ID.|
|Fund:||Enter 3-digit Fund ID.|
|Prog:||Enter 1-digit Activity Code either 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, F, R.|
|Project:||Enter 7-digit Project ID which will start with “PRJ” followed by a sequence of 4 alphanumeric characters or start with the 3-digit Fund Code.|
|Act ID:||Leave blank|
|Account:||Enter 4-digit SFS account code (numeric numbers).|
|County Tax Code Name:||The Tax Code field is used to calculate sales tax and can only be selected for account codes beginning with 9XXX. If sales tax applies to sale, pick the county name which relates to the sale from drop down list.|
|Amount:||Enter gross amount of deposit relating to the funding line as a negative amount (credit). Remember to enter the amount as a number, no commas, followed by a decimal point for the cents.|
|Description:||Enter the customer/vendor name followed by brief describe which will help you identify this deposit (max 30 alpha numeric characters).|
|PO No. or Journal No.:||When applicable, enter the PO or Journal ID related to this deposit (max 10 alpha numeric characters). For vendor refunds, enter PO number.|
|Voucher No.:||For vendor refunds, enter the Voucher ID in WISER which relates to this refund (max 10 alpha numeric characters).|
|Invoice No.:||When applicable, enter the Invoice No. related to this deposit (max 12 alpha numeric characters).|
|Total Deposit:||Leave as is; will auto fill based on amounts entered above.|
|Currency section:||Enter the number of coins/dollars per each currency type. Total currency must equal total deposit.|
|Preparer’s Signature:||All forms must be signed by the preparer.|
|Department Approvals:||All forms must have the department’s supervisor signature, date, printed name and phone number.|
|Received by Cash Management:||Leave as is; Cash Management will put initials and date when received.|
Note: There are many versions of Excel on campus. The forms have been developed to print on one page. If you are having problems printing, on the Excel toolbar, select File, then Page Set Up. This will open a dialog box for you to select “Fit to 1 page.” If this solution does not work, please contact your IT support person for further assistance.