This form is used for check deposits only, and checks are to be deposited within 5 business days.
Per Wisconsin State Statutes, (Chap. 20.906 Wis. Statutes), all payments/receipts collected or received are to be deposited within 5 business days.
For cash deposits, use the Cash Only Deposit Form.
Check deposits relate to customer payments for sale of goods/services, vendor payments for rebates, duplicate payments, reimbursement of travel, over payments, and/or returned merchandise.
Note: If the check has a UW–Madison logo with the address of 21 N. Park St, Suite 5301, void the check by writing “void” on the check. Send the voided check to: Accounting Services, File Room, 21 N. Park St, Suite 5301, Madison, WI 53715 for cancellation.
Attach the checks to the Check Deposit form and deliver or send to Cash Management.
21 N. Park St., Suite 5301
Madison, WI 53715-1218
All receipts/payments from customers/vendors belong to the University of Wisconsin–Madison. These receipts/payments may not be deposited with the University of Wisconsin Foundation or to an individual’s private bank account. Receipts/payments may not be deposited into the University’s replenishable/contingent bank accounts, including petty cash accounts and custodian fund checking accounts; or be used to purchases supplies or services.
Departments that collect a large number of checks can help avoid theft or loss by making deposits daily or multiple times during the week using sealable, plastic bank bags and deposit slips. These bank bags with deposit slips can be either dropped off at an armored cars stop or dropped off directly at a US Bank site. All plastic bank bags must be sealed and provide the following information: your name, phone number, email, and Dept. ID (6-digit code), and your department’s full name. Plastic bank bags and deposit slips are provided by Cash Management; you can order them using the Order Bank Deposit Slip Order Form and Plastic Bank Bag Order Form.
Completing the Check Deposit Form
- If the receipt relates to a refund of expenditure, please use the same funding string used for the original expenditure.
- If the original expenditure this refund is related to was to an individual or entity that is different than the individual or entity who wrote this check, then the original charge needs to be credited off the award to a discretionary account and this check needs to be deposited into that same discretionary account.
- For deposits relating to prior year Fund 101 expenditures, use the following funding string: Fund 131, Project 131A006, account code 9209.
- Any revenue deposits related to Funds 133 and 144 must be submitted with a WISPER form to be reviewed and approved by Research and Sponsored Programs (RSP) located at 21 N. Park St., Suite 6301, Madison, WI 53715.
- Any revenue deposits related to Funds 233 must be submitted with a gift routing form and donor intent documentation.
- Any revenue deposits related to Fund 161 must be submitted to UW Systems for deposit at 780 Regent St, Suite 305, Attn: Trust Fund Office.
- All deposits using account code 9050 and 9051 require a program code to be 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or F.
- The Tax Code field is used to calculate sales tax and can only be selected for account codes beginning with 9XXX.
Note: After filling in each field, use the tab key to move to the next field.
|Contact Information (person completing form)|
|Prepared By:||Enter full name of person preparing form.|
|Department Name:||Enter full name of the department making deposit.|
|Dept ID:||Enter 6-digit department identification code.|
|Date:||Enter date the form is completed.|
|Phone No.:||Enter the preparer’s telephone number (xxx) xxx-xxxx.|
|E-mail:||Enter the preparer’s e-mail address.|
|No. of Checks||Enter the number of all checks being deposited with this form|
|Receipt Box:||Check box if check deposits relate to customer payments for sale of goods/services|
|Refund of Expense box:||Check box if the check deposits relate to customer payments for vendor payments for rebates, duplicated payments, reimbursement of travel, over payments, and/or returned merchandise.|
|Reason for Deposit:||Enter reason for the deposit.|
|Funding, Amount, and Description Fields:||Funding Fields: Using funding codes and strings|
|Dept:||Enter 6-digit Division/Department ID.|
|Fund:||Enter 3-digit Fund ID.|
|Prog:||Enter 1-digit Activity Code such as 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, F, R.|
|Project:||Enter 7-digit Project ID|
|Act ID:||Leave blank|
|Account:||Enter 4-digit SFS account code (numeric numbers).|
|County Tax Code Name:||The Tax Code field is used to calculate sales tax and can only be selected for account codes beginning with 9XXX. If sales tax applies to sale, pick the county tax name which relates to the sale from drop down list.|
|Amount:||Enter gross amount of deposit relating to the funding line as a negative amount (credit). Remember to enter the amount as a number, no commas, followed by a decimal point for the cents.|
|Description:||Enter the customer name followed by brief describe which will help you identify this deposit (max 30 alpha numeric characters).|
|PO No. or Journal ID:||When applicable, enter the PO or Journal ID related to this deposit (max 10 alpha numeric characters). For vendor refunds, enter PO number.|
|Check No. :||Enter the check number of the deposited check (max 10 alpha numeric characters).|
|Invoice No. or Voucher ID||When applicable, enter the Invoice No. related to this deposit (max 12 alpha numeric characters) or Voucher ID for vendor refund.|
|Total Deposit||Leave as is; will auto fill based on amounts entered above.|
|Preparer’s Signature:||All forms must be signed by the preparer.|
|Department Approval:||All forms must have department’s supervisor signature, date, printed name, and phone number.|
|Received by Cash Management:||Leave as is; Cash Management will date stamp report when received.|
Email questions about this form to email@example.com.