Educational or Living-Related Expenses:
- Tuition and fees
- Books and supplies
- Transportation (Getting to/from UW-Madison each semester, commuting to/from campus for off-campus students)
- Room and board
- Personal expenses as required and allowed by federal financial aid regulations, such as computers, computer equipment, photocopying and other miscellaneous personal expenses
AWARDS/COMPETITIONS: Student Awards are monetary payments to UW-Madison students. These awards recognize student achievements and may include results of a judged competition or merit.
- The traveler is both a UW-Madison employee and a UW-Madison student, but travel is in his or her capacity as an employee.
- The travel is on the behalf of UW-Madison for university business.
- The travel is part of an externally funded project.
And, there is a documented university business purpose related to the instruction, research or service mission of the university.
SOLUTION: Please submit through the Bursar scholarship process using the travel award item type.
SCHOLARSHIPS: an amount paid or allowed to, or for the benefit of, a student (whether an undergraduate or a graduate) at an educational institution to aid in the pursuit of his or her studies.
STUDENT AWARD: monetary payments to UW Madison students. These awards recognize student achievements and may include results of a judged competition or merit. According to the IRS, these awards are scholarship in nature, and processing will be similar to scholarships.
Internship or non-recurring research support payments may not need to be included in financial aid award calculations. To qualify as a non-EFA (Estimated Financial Assistance) payment, the program must meet the following criteria:
- Not a part of a course requirement.
- Not required for degree completion.
- Education experience enrichment only.
SOLUTION: Use WISH/Bursar Scholarship Process
SOLUTION: Contact Student Payment Committee to determine payment method.
SOLUTION: Please send the list of awardees, including the student’s campus ID, the term the award will be posted and the award amount to email@example.com. This will allow us to prevent the travel award from applying towards outstanding balances
SOLUTION: Non-Credit Internship and Research Support Payment
Prior to processing a non-credit internship or research support payment, the Office of Student Financial Aid must first review the program to ensure that we remain in compliance for Title IV Federal Financial Aid. Please have the Divisional Student Payment Coordinator submit the following form: Request to Establish Student Support Program in SIS
Solution: Your payment does not meet any of the Student Payments criteria. Contact Accounting Services to determine the nature of the payment.