Traveling – Once you’re there

How to determine what you can pay for or be reimbursed for while traveling on UW–Madison business.

Including things like how to change or cancel flights, using local transportation, and insurance coverage.

Important travel information

Using local transportation and tipping

Local transportation while in travel status is payable/reimbursable to the extent it is supported by a business purpose.

Travel by taxi, shuttle, subway, Uber/Lyft/rideshares, bus, train, or any other necessary means of transportation is allowable.

Travelers should choose the most reasonable, cost-effective means of traveling locally. Payment/reimbursement for tips is limited to 20%.

Cancelling/Changing flights

Costs associated with cancelling or changing a flight are payable/reimbursable provided the reason for the cancel/change is outside of the traveler’s control. Be sure to save documentation to support reimbursement claims.

Cancel flights in Concur or by contacting the University’s contracted travel agency.

Receipts and other supporting documentation

Travelers are responsible for retaining their receipts and other supporting documentation in accordance with the University’s receipt requirement.

Reimbursement may be reduced or disallowed if costs are not supported by an itemized receipt and/or other supporting documentation. Example: if a conference’s dates change unexpectedly, save the email correspondence between the conference organizers and the traveler to support the fees for changing the flight.

Travel insurance

There are some basic travel insurance protections offered to UWMadison employees.

Effective January 1, 2022, enrollment in Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) International Health Insurance coverage is mandatory for all University of Wisconsin Madison faculty, staff employees and agents traveling abroad for the purpose of University-related business and/or educational programs.

Learn more about International Medical, Travel, and Security Insurance


Travelers and departmental staff should contact their Divisional Business Office for policy or procedural questions.

Divisional Business Offices may e-mail with questions.