B-1 Business/B-2 Tourist/Visa Waiver Program

Type(s) of payment allowed

  • B-1/B-2 reimbursement of travel expenses and/or honorarium (receipts required for travel reimbursement)
  • B-1/ B-2 participant support for attendance at a conference

General information

  • B-1 or B-2 visa holders may not be employed or have a UW appointment.
  • Honorarium payments to B-1s and all payments to B-2s are limited to a maximum nine-day stay. The nine-day stay starts on the day that the visitor arrives at the University of Wisconsin and is being paid for the services, not when they arrive in the United States.
  • Individuals may not accept honorarium payments from more than five institutions in a six-month period.
  • Tracking number of payments and length of stay is the visitor’s responsibility.

Documents required to process payments

Forms required to process payments

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.


If payment involves travel related expenses/reimbursements, please make read and follow UW Policy 3023 -Payment for Services and Travel and Expense Reimbursement for Non-employees.


Participant support

Travel reimbursement

For campuses using eReimbursement (UW–Madison)

For campuses not using eReimbursement

Tax liability/withholding


  • Documented travel expenses are considered business expenses of the UW and thus no federal tax is withheld.
  • Honorariums (Payment for Services) require withholding of 30% federal tax, unless tax treaty exemption applies and Form 8233 is filed. To determine if tax treaty applies refer to:
  • Participant support, 30% withholding, unless tax treaty exemption applies and Form W-8BEN and 8233 are filed. References to help determine if tax treaty applies:



Immigration questions

For immigration questions, go to Terra Dotta.