Visa Restrictions and Resources

This resource guide was prepared for the use of University of Wisconsin. The information contained herein may not apply to other colleges and universities.

Descriptions of non-immigrant classification visa options

All visas fall within two broad categories: non-immigrant and immigrant.

Non-immigrant visas are given to individuals who intend to reside temporarily in the United States.  The position they fill may be permanent, but they must be in it temporarily.  The vast majority of the UW’s international faculty and staff are here in some non-immigrant category.

Immigrant visas are for those who intend to reside permanently in the United States and have an offer of permanent employment.  Non-immigrant visas require considerably less documentation and processing time.

On-campus sources of additional information

F-1 and J-1 students

International Student and Scholar Services, (608) 265-2257

H-1B, J-1 scholars, permanent residence, all other immigration categories

International Faculty and Staff Services, (608) 265-2257

Employee payments

Employee Compensation and Benefits Services, (608) 262-5650 |

Non-employee payments

Accounting Services
Jose A. Carus, Jr. – Tax Compliance Manager, (608) 262-0582

Legal questions

Legal Services, (608) 263-7400