3025.1 How to Obtain and Reconcile a Cash Advance (Traveler Procedures)

How to Obtain and Reconcile a Cash Advance (Traveler Procedures)
Procedure # 3025.1
Rev.: 1
Effective Date: October 10, 2018

Related Policy: UW-3025 Cash Advance Policy
Functional Owner: Accounting Services, Business Services
Contact: Expense Reimbursement Program Manager – Graig Brooks (608) 262-8691


I. Procedure Statement
II. Who is Affected by this Procedure
III. Procedure
IV. Contact Roles and Responsibilities
V. Definitions
VI. Related References
VII. Revisions

I. Procedure Statement

Employees must first be approved by their Dean’s/Divisional Business Office and their profiles must be activated by Business Services before requesting Cash Advances.  Cash Advance requests are submitted through e-Reimbursement.  Employees must fully reconcile Cash Advances within 30 days of the end of the trip.

II. Who is affected by this Procedure

Faculty and staff seeking Cash Advances for travel expenses and their alternates

III. Procedure

A.Pre-Approval: Submit a Cash Advance Activation Request Form to Business Services.  These forms must be routed through the Dean’s/Divisional Business Office.  Once the form has been submitted and the traveler’s profile has been activated, the traveler can request a Cash Advance.

B.Cash Advance Request:

  1. Sign into e-Reimbursement, click the Expenses WorkCenter tile.
  2. Select Create/Modify Cash Advance from the Cash Advance submenu.
  3. Click Add.  If you are an alternate requesting a cash advance for a different traveler, enter their employee ID before clicking Add. If you receive an error message, ensure your travel profile has been properly activated in step A.
  4. Enter header information, justification, and add any attachments to the Cash Advance.
  5. In the descriptions area, enter expense descriptions or select from pre-existing expense types.  The amount of expense line detail required will vary by department and division.

C.Reconciliation: Cash Advances must be fully reconciled within 30 days of the end of the trip.

  1. Submit an Expense Reimbursement:  Account for the use of advanced funds by submitting an Expense Reimbursement.  On the Review and Submit page, there will be a menu showing your available Cash Advances.  Apply either the full amount of the Expense Reimbursement or the full amount of the Cash Advance, whichever is lower.  You will receive a notification if an amount is due back to the University.
  2. Refund Excess Advanced Funds: Any advanced funds not utilized must be promptly refunded to the University.  Travelers must submit a check to their departmental or divisional business office for deposit.

IV. Contact Roles and Responsibilities

  1. Travelers – Travelers are responsible for reconciling Cash Advances within 30 days of the end of the trip. Travelers must not seek excessive Cash Advances and must refund any excess advancements promptly.  Advanced funds must be used prudently and in accordance with UW travel and purchasing policies.  Travelers are responsible for submitting Cash Advance requests in a timely enough fashion to allow for approvals and payment.

V. Definitions

A.Cash Advance – an Expense Report seeking a monetary advancement prior to a trip.

B.Expense Reimbursement – an Expense Report seeking reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses. Expense Reimbursements must be done to account for use of advanced funds.

VI. Related References

VII. Revisions

Procedure Number


Date Approved

October 1, 2018

Revision Dates

01/19/21 – Updated Procedure Number to 3025.1 from 321.1