Booking guest travel

How to arrange travel and lodging for guests coming to, or traveling on behalf of UW-Madison.

Examples include guest speakers, job candidates, or conference attendees. When booking travel, be mindful, guests are always considered non-employees. Employees are never guests.

Who can arrange guest travel

Travel for guests can be booked by any University employee with a Concur profile. Travel arrangers can book online via Concur or by contacting an agent at Travel, Inc.


Airfare must be reserved either through Concur or with an agent and the University’s contracted travel agency.

To reserve airfare for a guest the following information must be provided:

  1. The guest’s name as it must appear on the airline ticket to correspond with the identification the guest presents to airport security.
  2. The guest’s date of birth.
  3. The guest’s gender.

Airfare for guest travel should be paid for with a University Purchasing Card; however, guests can pay and be reimbursed for airfare reserved by a Travel Arranger in Concur or directly with a Travel, Inc. agent.

Car Rentals

Guest car rentals must be reserved through Concur or directly with a Fox World Travel Agent. Guest travelers do not need to be Authorized Drivers. However, they must present a valid driver’s license to the rental agency when picking up a rental vehicle.

Car rental charges must be paid for by the guest when the car is returned. Guests can be reimbursed for car rental expense associated with University business related travel (not personal travel).


Travel arrangers are expected to research rates and reserve lodging using Concur or by contacting an agent at Travel, Inc. If more cost-effective rates are available outside of Concur/Travel, Inc., travel arrangers may reserve lodging directly with a lodging property or, for conference reservations, with a conference service/site. AirBnb is an allowable lodging option. Use of other internet based lodging brokers or third party sites (e.g. Expedia,, Kayak, Priceline, VRBO, Hotwire) is prohibited. Lodging must be within allowed maximums pursuant to the University’s Lodging Policy.

Lodging for guest travel can be paid for with a University Purchasing Card; however, guests can pay and be reimbursed for lodging reserved by a Travel Arranger.

Foreign visitor Visa considerations

The guest is ultimately responsible for obtaining any required Government travel documents needed for travel to or on behalf of the University.

The cost of a guest’s required travel Visa can be paid for or reimbursed by the University only if the Visa issued is specific to the guest’s travel for University-related business and not personal travel.

Passport fees for guests are payable/reimbursable provided the guest needed to obtain/renew one in order to travel for UW business.  No payments/reimbursements are allowed for passports which were already active prior to planning travel.

Getting Reimbursed

Policy-compliant, University business-related travel expenses paid for by guests will be reimbursed. To do so, the responsible Department/Division must create a Non-Employee e-Reimbursement profile for the guest and the assigned alternate will create and submit the required expense report for review, approval, and subsequent payment.

Guests are reimbursed by personal check. International guests can be reimbursed by wire transfer upon request.


Travelers and departmental staff should contact their respective Divisional Business Office for policy or procedural questions.

Divisional Business Offices may e-mail with questions.