How to reserve lodging, how to pay for lodging, and what lodging-related expenses are allowable.
How to reserve lodging
All lodging must be reserved through the Concur online system, directly with an Agent at Travel, Inc., by booking directly with the lodging facility, or by booking through AirBnB. Use of other third-party booking sites (e.g. VRBO, Hotels.com, Travelocity) is prohibited.
The University has contracts with various lodging suppliers in top travel destinations, including Wisconsin. UW contract rates are only offered within Concur.
Concur travel guides are available on the UW TravelWIse page.
Note: New Concur users must first register for a Concur profile.
Contact a Travel, Inc. agent toll free at (877) 811-9898.
Arranging travel for other employees, guests and groups
Travel arrangers have the ability to coordinate travel (e.g. airfare, lodging, vehicle rental) on behalf of employees and non-employees. Both parties must have a Concur profile. See Booking for another employee online via Concur webpage on the UW System website for further information and instructions.
Contact Purchasing Services if you are required to sign a contract or the anticipated cost exceeds $5,000.
How to pay
Travelers can use a Purchasing Card, a My Corporate Card or a personal credit card to pay for lodging and related expenses.
Travelers are limited to the daily rate for the location. Use the UW TravelWIse Lodging and Per Diem Calculator to see the daily rates for the dates and location of your trip.
Exceeding nightly rates
Lodging exceeding the maximum nightly rate is payable/reimbursable if either:
- The traveler stayed at the conference location or a nearby lodging facility identified by the conference organizers. This must be documented on the conference registration materials saved with the payment mechanism.
- The base hotel rate was within the lodging limits; however, the total including taxes/fees exceeded the maximum nightly rate (domestic travel only)
- No other lodging facilities were available within the maximum nightly limits. This requires supporting documentation, typically a copy of the Concur search results, to be saved with the payment mechanism.
Allowable lodging-related expenses
The following items are payable or reimbursable by the University:
- Internet (for business use)
- Full prepayment, when required by the lodging facility
Other expenses such as room service, meals and tips are reimbursed to the traveler as part of a per diem allowance.
When opting to share lodging, each traveler is eligible for the location lodging maximum.
The University allows for payment/reimbursement of extended lodging, such as extended stay hotels or weekly/monthly rentals, when a traveler remains in travel status for 30 days or longer.
Combining business and personal travel
Any additional costs related to personal travel (e.g. companion travelers, extra nights for personal vacation) are not payable/reimbursable by the University.
You might also be looking for...
Travelers and departmental staff should contact their Divisional Business Office for policy or procedural questions.
Divisional Business Offices may e-mail email@example.com with questions.