Booking a Flight

How to book and pay for a flight, and what air travel-related expenses are allowed.

How to book airfare

Looking outside the window of an airplane in-flight, at the wingAll airfare must be booked through the Concur online booking tool or directly with an agent at the University’s contracted travel agency. Use of a third-party online travel booking site (e.g. Travelocity, Orbitz) or booking directly with an airline is prohibited.

Book online with Concur

Concur travel guides are available on the UW TravelWIse page.

Note: New Concur users must first register for a Concur profile.

The University’s contracted travel agency for individual travel is Travel, Inc. Call (877) 811-9898 for individual travel reservations.

The University’s contracted travel agency for group travel – defined by the airlines as 10 or more individuals traveling together – is Fox World Travel. Call (920) 933-4180 for group travel reservations.

Back to top

Arranging travel for other employees, guests, and groups

All profiled Concur users can book airfare on behalf of employees and non-employees (guests).  Employee travelers must assign a travel assistant in Concur for another employee to make travel arrangements on their behalf.

Arranging travel for another employee

Arranging travel for non-employees/guests

Use the “Book for a guest” option in Concur when arranging travel for a non-employee/guest. Employee travel should not be arranged as “guest” travel; see resources above for employee travel. More information about booking guest travel

Arranging travel for a group

Travel for a group of 10 or more people is arranged through Fox World Travel.

Arranging travel via an administrative group

Administrative groups, which allow travelers to book their own flights with oversight from administrative group leaders, can be setup with Travel, Inc. for many different purposes, including guest travel for speakers, job candidates, and other visitors.

Back to top

Booking and payment

What to book

Airfare is limited to the lowest-cost, logical, non-refundable, coach/economy class fare available, unless:

  • The traveler has been granted an ADA exemption through the Employee Disability Resources Office or
  • It is an international flight with 8 hours or more of total flight time, including domestic segments (allowable upgrade to Premium Economy class only)

How to pay

Travelers can use the following to pay for lodging and allowable air travel-related expenses:

Travel booked using personal airlines miles or credit card points will not be reimbursed.

Allowable expenses

University funds may be used to pay/reimburse for some air travel-related expenses incurred in association with University business travel, such as:

  • Baggage fees
  • Fees for aisle/exit row seats
  • Fees for flight changes/cancellations
  • Agency fees
  • Transportation to/from airport
  • Parking at airport

Reimbursement information

Required documentation

Airfare purchases/reimbursement requests must be supported by an e-Receipt from the University’s contracted travel agency. For other related expenses, please review UW-3024 Expense Reimbursement Policy.

Back to top

Personal travel and promotions

Combining business and personal travel

If personal travel is combined with business travel, a cost comparison is required. The University will not incur additional expense for personal travel. Acceptable cost comparisons include Concur screenshots or designated agency documentation (such as emailed quotes). Due to airfare pricing and availability fluctuation, accurate cost comparison must be done at the time of booking to be valid.

When traveling with a companion (non-business-related traveler), contact a contracted travel agent to reserve flights for both the business traveler and companion.

Back to top

Airline promotions

All airfare purchasing decisions should be made based on business needs and policy compliance. Employees will be reimbursed based on fare paid and will not be compensated for business use of any vouchers, or certificates of frequent flyer miles redeemed.

Vouchers, certificates, or frequent flier miles received as a result of University business travel belong to the individual and may be used for future business travel or personal travel.

Flight changes and cancellations

Use a contracted travel agent or Concur to change or cancel an existing reservation.

Provided the circumstances were outside of the traveler’s control, fees for changing/cancelling flights are payable/reimbursable by the University (e.g. meeting dates changed).

Back to top


Travelers and departmental staff should contact their Divisional Business Office for policy or procedural questions.

Divisional Business Offices may email with questions.