How To Get A Credit Reference For A Vendor

How To Get A Credit Reference For A Vendor

The University of Wisconsin is an agency of the State of Wisconsin and, as such, does not provide credit information.

The State of Wisconsin has enacted prompt pay legislation (Wisconsin Statute 16.528) which requires the University (as a state agency) be responsible for the payment or dispute of invoices within a timely manner (30 days).

When requested, we provide credit references for hotel contracts, please contact Purchasing Services for more information.

Please provide the following letter to vendors who are requesting credit information or for you to complete a credit application.: Download Letter


How to Purchase a Printing or Copying Job

How to Purchase a Printing or Copying Job

The State of Wisconsin has very strict rules relating to printing services imbedded in the constitution. This being the case, purchasing a printing job is NOT intuitive. To further compound things there are mandatory state contracts through the State Department of Administration.

Regrettably faculty and staff are NOT authorized to directly purchase printing over $49.99 from outside vendors.

Printing must be ordered through Digital Printing & Publishing Services (DP&PS, formerly DoIT Printing) or University Marketing (formerly University Communications). This applies to all printing jobs, including quick copy/duplicating and photocopying.

Using University Marketing:
University Marketing works as a service bureau and does higher-end printing jobs from the bottom up, i.e. graphic design, layout, editing and working with the printing contractor.

Using DP&PS:
If you have camera ready copy, you may take the job directly to DP&PS/DoIT, which is an actual printing facility. They are capable of completing most jobs on site and also work closely with printing contractors.

Both offices are the authorized printing purchasing offices and orders to them should be processed on internal requisitions.

Using Campus Copy Centers:
Use campus copy centers to complete any duplicating jobs when possible.

Purchases Involving Purchasing Services:
Purchasing Services only handles printing related items; e.g. binders with printing, diplomas, bookbinding, imagesetting, promotional items with printing on them, etc. Orders for these items that can’t be put on a P-Card should be processed using an external requisition.

For More Information:
Refer to Printing Related and Purchasing Services – PPP5, Printing Related and Printing Purchases, for more in depth information on the printing policy. Please contact DP&PS or Purchasing Services at 608-262-1526 with questions.

Printing Resource Matrix
Printing Related and Purchasing Services – PPP5

How To Purchase A Photocopier (Copier)

How To Purchase A Photocopier (Copier)

The photocopier contract is a mandatory state contract done by the Department of Administration (DOA).
Please visit the copier contract, which is divided into sections, and use the following instructions to make a selection.

  • Go to Pricing/Accessories/Machine Features, which is an Excel spreadsheet and select the volume band most appropriate for your needs or reach out to the contact person for the brand/s you are interested and have them provide a recommendation.
  • Your choices are either lease or outright purchase.  There are two machines for each band.If at all possible, visit and talk to the dealer to see the machine in action and to ask questions. Ask for references of other University departments or State agencies using the equipment.Once the appropriate copier for your needs has been selected, do an external requisition to the contractor for that model. Allow approximately two – four weeks from the time the contractor receives the order until delivery is actually made.Always include the cost for maintenance on your requisition whether you choose lease or purchase.

For questions, please contact Purchasing Services.

How to Trace or Stop Payment for Non-Payroll Checks

How to Trace or Stop Payment for Non-Payroll Checks



When to Use

Proof of Payment A proof of payment is to verify if a check has been cashed. If the check has been cashed we will receive a copy of the check (front and back showing the endorsement). This process takes approximately one week. Check never received

Check stolen or lost

Vendor never received check

Stop Payment Reissue Is used if it has been over 30 days since check was sent out and vendor never received check. Or check was sent to foreign country with the wrong address.
Stop Payment A stop payment is used for a check that will be going out of our office that should not be paid. This is something that is caught before the check goes out. For this, please contact Accounting:
21 N Park St., Suite 5301
Phone: (608) 262-9681
Product not received or incomplete

Use the Check Action Form

How To Obtain A Cell Phone and Cellular Service

How To Obtain A Cell Phone and Cellular Service

The State of Wisconsin has a mandatory cellular telephone contract with US Cellular. The ordering of all service requests and billing is done through DoIT.

DoIT information on cellular service (mobile)

If you are ordering upgrades to equipment or do not want one of the free telephones available for new service, please issue an External Requisition and forward through the regular channels to order this equipment.

If you are interested in obtaining a cellular phone to use when you are out of the country, please contact Caleb Hall for further information on what would be involved to obtain a waiver.

How To Report a Property Claim

How To Report a Property Claim

  1. All accidental property damage in excess of $500, should be reported to within 24-48 hours.
  2. If there is theft or vandalism, you must call the local law enforcement agency.
  3. Losses that may exceed $10,000 must be reported as soon as possible to
  4. You will need to follow up with a formal report using the Property Loss Report (Word doc). You will also need to submit copies of repair estimates, replacement costs, clean-up costs, police reports and lightning loss affidavits, as applicable.
  5. Claims must be concluded within 90 days. If this is not possible, arrangements must be made ahead of time with

More information on insurance programs

How to upload a form to the Bursar’s Office secure website

This document will teach you how to upload a form to the Bursar's Secure website

  1. Login to the Bursar’s Office Secure Website(use your NetID and password).
  2. Type the name of your department in the first entry box.
  3. In the “FileType” field, choose the radio button next to the type of file you will be uploading.
  4. In the second entry box, enter the complete file name, or use the “Browse” button to select the file.
  5. Click the “Submit Form” button.

Instructions for Filling out the Scholarship Form

Instructions for Filling out the Scholarship Form (Fall/Spring/Summer)

Please follow the instructions below for filling out the scholarship submission spreadsheet provided on this website:

  1. The field lengths provided in the spreadsheet format (see below) are the greatest allowable values. For example, NAME cannot be more than 30 characters.
  2. Fall/Spring item types must begin with 15 or 16. Summer item types must begin with 18. For example: 15010 or 18010.
  3. Please do NOT include more than one Item Type and one Term per Excel file that you upload. Files generated from the Common Scholarship Application (CSA) may allow for more than one Item Type or Term. It is the Department’s responsibility to review the file and as needed split it into multiple files (per Item Type and Term) for upload.
  4. “NAME” must be entered in the spreadsheet format provided below. This will enable searching by last name in WISDM.
  5. Submit the file using the Bursar’s Office Secure Website . Instructions on how to submit the spreadsheet are available here. NOTE: We will not be accepting the file via email.
  6. The “SYS ID” field refers to the ID found in SIS. It typically begins with three zeroes (000). The program will not recognize payroll IDs or campus IDs when uploading scholarships.
  7. The “TERM” field should be filled out using the term code chart on the right of the scholarship form.
  8. The “PROGRAM” field should always be 9 (FINANCIAL AID) and account code should be 5711 (SCHOLARSHIPS/FELLOWSHIPS AID). This is because all scholarships are considered Financial Aid.
  9. Before submitting any upload, please verify all information is correct, including:
    • Verifying citizenship: International students (Non-Resident Alien) must have taxes deducted from their scholarships. Consequently, these scholarships need to be processed through payroll and not by the Bursar’s Office. Please refer to the Accounting Services website for more information: Scholarship Payments to NRAs.
    • Validating all fundings: Please make sure the combination of fund, account code, program code, department, and project are valid for processing via JET. You can perform this test in WISDM at the path below: Main Menu—>Other—>Funding Validation/Inquiry.
    • Verifying enrollment: Students must be enrolled in order to receive a scholarship.


Field Name Maximum Length Sample Data
ITEM TYPE Numeric 15000
SYS ID 10 characters 0004005955
TERM 4 characters 1072
AMOUNT Numeric 750.00
ACCOUNT 4 characters 5711
FUND 3 characters 233
PROGRAM 1 character 9
ORG 6 characters 070620
PROJECT/GRANT 7 characters 233HJ04
NAME 30 characters Doe, John J

How To Rent or Lease A Vehicle

How To Rent or Lease A Vehicle

There are two options for vehicle rentals: using a fleet vehicle or using a vehicle rental contract via Concur. Leasing a vehicle means using a fleet vehicle.

Note: In order to be covered by the State’s Liability Protection while driving on university business, all prospective drivers must complete the appropriate driver authorization request form. Please visit the Driver Authorization page for more information.

Vehicle rental

The link below has information and links for deciding which type of vehicle is best to use for travel, as well as the links needed to rent a vehicle through fleet (UW, DOA, or State) or contract.

Using a vehicle during UW business travel

Leasing a vehicle

Contact the UW Fleet Manager for information on vehicle specifications and availability.

Contact information for UW–Madison Fleet