How to Notify Cash Management of Outgoing Wire Transfer Payment


  1. Fill out an Outgoing Wire Form.
  2. Attach the completed form to the front of the appropriate expense request document: Direct Payment (DP), Payment to Individual Report (PIR), Purchase Order (PO), or e-Reimbursement. Also include a copy of the invoice and other supporting documentation.
  3. Forward the expense request and other documentation through regular department payment channels for review and to obtain the appropriate approvals.
  4. The approved expense request and supporting documentation should then be forwarded to Accounts Payables to review. Accounts Payable will then forward approved expense requests to be paid by Wire Transfer to Cash Management to process.

Department Costs for Outgoing Wire Transfer and ACH Transactions

Type of Payment Amount of Fee
International Wire Transfer in Foreign Currency $0.00 (No Fee)
International Wire Transfer in US Dollars $16.00
Domestic Wire Transfer in US Dollars $2.25
ACH Payment (Domestic Only)* $0.00 (No Fee)

* Search the vendor in WISER to see if the default payment method is Automated Clearing House (ACH). If this is the default payment method, the Outgoing Wire Form is not necessary. If the vendor payment method is not set to ACH, contact to see if it can be setup

Contact with any questions regarding the forms or to check on the status of your wire transfer payment.

How to create an Internal Work Order using the Internal Work Order Generator

Creating an Internal Work Order using the Internal Work Order Generator

1. This section of the application allows you to use the requisition generator to create and print an internal work order with a valid reference number assigned to it. Begin by choosing “Internal Work Order Generator ” from the Main Menu.

2. Your name, UDDS, and phone number will be filled in automatically and the Internal Work Order option will be automatically checked. Choose if you will require a funding map. Then choose if you need to have a requisition number assigned or wish to enter your own from your block of numbers. Choose the “Create Internal Work Order ” button at the bottom of the screen to proceed.

3.Entering Internal Work Order Information:
The screen below appears after choosing “Create Internal Work Order ” from the main menu and allows you to enter the general information.

  • The assigned reference number is listed at the top.
  • Choose “Specific” as the Type for a single committment and Blanket for a recurring order.
  • Today’s date is defaulted into the date field.
  • If choosing blanket, enter the date range in the Begin Date and End date fields.
  • Enter the Contact Person and Contact Phone. Your name and phone should be automatically populated. The work order generator will remember the last values that you entered for these fields and will automatically fill them in when you complete your next work order.
  • Enter the internal vendor which you will be receiving the goods/services from in the Vendor Name and Address lines.
  • Enter the Ship To address for the order. Your name and address should be automatically populated. The work order generator will remember the last values that you entered for these fields and will automatically fill them in when you complete your next work order.
  • Choose the number of copies to print as required by your Dean’s office and the campus service provider. The defaults are the Department Furnishing Goods copy, the Dean’s Copy, and the Department Copy.
  • Choose Save and Continue to proceed.

4. Entering Items and Funding Information:

The next page allows the entry of items and funding information. Each line is numbered automatically.

  • Enter the Quantity, Unit, and Unit Cost for each item. The application will multiply the Unit Cost and Quantity to calculate both the Extended Cost and the Total Cost.
  • Enter the Item Description in the “Item Description/Comment” box. The box can hold up to 800 characters and will automatically wrap the text on the final document.
  • Choose “Add Another Line” to add as many items or messages as needed. An attached list will be automatically generated if necessary.
  • To create a comment line or order message, leave the quantity box blank and enter the desired text in the “Item Description/Comment” field or select and customize one of the standard messages from the drop down box.
  • To apply a discount to the whole work order, select the Document Level option from the Discount Type select box and enter the percent discount in the Document Level Discount field. Do not include the “%” symbol. For item level discounts, select Item Level from the Discount type select box and enter the percent discount in the Discount field for each item with a discount.
  • Enter the funding information in the next set of boxes using SFS coding.
  • Choose “Add More Funding” to add another funding string if needed.
  • Funding amounts will be automatically added and an attached list will be generated automatically if necessary.
  • The “Total Funding” and “Total Cost” fields should match before generating the printed document. The “Cost-Funding” field displays the difference, if any, and is provided as a reminder to help to ensure that the amounts match. If they do not, a warning message indicating so will appear before the final printable document is generated. Since there is a calculation applied to this funding amount field, it will only take numeric values.

5. Generating the Final Printed Internal Work Order

The final internal work order form, containing the specified number of copies, will appear in a new window. This document can be printed on your local printer and the Adobe Acrobat .pdf file can be saved if desired. If the new window does not appear, choose the “Open My Requisition” link to generate it. Note: Do not alter the way you process any of the paper forms without consulting your Dean ’s office for approval.

6. Navigating Back to the Application

Once a work order has been successfully generated, a menu will appear outlining choices for returning to the application, and making changes to your form.

Use the “Open My Requisition” link if the printable Adobe Acrobat file has not appeared. This will manually open the window for you.

Use the “Make Changes to your requisition” link to go back and edit any of the information in your final requisition form if you notice a change needs to be made. This option is only available immediately after generating the printable form. Proofread the printed form immediately to determine if this option is needed, as it will not be available once you exit the application. If small changes are needed, such as adding an “F” to a funding line in a split funding situation, these may be written directly on the printed copy. A new copy does not need to be generated in these cases.
“Return to the requisitions home page” will take you back to the Main Menu of the application. “Create another requisition and clear entry fields” will begin the process of creating another form, but will wipe out the data you entered on the previous requisition. Use “create another requisition without clearing your previous entry” to create another form and leave all the items you just entered.

Please use our  Requisition and Number generator user guide for more related questions.

How to create an External Requisition using the External Requisition Generator

Creating an External Requisition using the External Requisition Generator

Download the printable PDF  version of these instructions

1. This section of the application allows you to use the requisition generator to create and print an external requisition with a valid requisition number assigned to it. Begin by choosing “External Requisition Generator ” from the Main Menu.

2. The first time you enter the main menu of the application your name, Department, and phone will be blank. Begin by setting your preferences. Click “Set/Update Preferences:

3. Use this screen (shown below) to enter:

  • Your name
  • Department ID in SFS coding
  • Phone number
  • Choose if you are a delegated purchasing agent (most will use the default “no”) – if you are unsure, answer no
  • Preferred contact person (full name)
  • Preferred ship-to address
  • Preferred Dept. Chairperson printed name
  • Preferred Dean or Director printed name
  • Preferred funding string(s)
  • Be sure to click “Save Preferences” to save and go back to the main menu.
  • Be sure to click “Add” to save your funding

Information entered here will appear on every requisition that you complete, but can be deleted or replaced if needed as the requisition is completed.  You are not required to complete these preferences.

4. Now you are ready to create a requisition. The default option is to create a new requisition with a new requisition number assigned by the system.

  • If you already have a number for the requisition you can choose that option and enter the number in the space provided.
  • If you know the number of a similar requisition to the one you will be creating, enter it in the box provided to copy the data from that existing requisition or PO (and save yourself some keying).
  • Choose the “Create New Requisition” button to continue.

5. The next screen allows entry of basic requisition information.

  • Your assigned (or entered) requisition number is displayed at the top
  • Today’s date is defaulted into the Requisition Date field
    • If you are entering a Continuing Order Requisition or COR, be sure that you change the date in this field to today’s date
  • If you would like the order to be a blanket order (i.e. continuing over a span of time), fill in the Begin and End dates (note: dates can only span a period of 12 months).
    • If placing a one time order, no dates are required in these fields.
    • If dates are filled in, you will receive a Continuing Order Requisition (COR) reminding you that your order is expiring about 3 months before the ending date on the order.
    • If you are entering blanket order dates or processing a COR, be sure that your funding is valid for the entire date range of the order, e.g. don’t set an end date beyond your project funding end date.
  • Enter or make any needed changes to the default contact person name and phone. Be sure to use a full first and last name.  The contact person should be someone who is able to answer questions about your order from both the vendor and Purchasing. A copy of the invoice will be sent to this person if positive approval is requested.
  • If you require positive approval (where invoices will be sent to you for approval before payment) choose yes (the default value is no). Only choose yes if this feature is necessary as it greatly slows down the time for Accounting to pay invoices.
  • Choose a discount from the drop down menu if needed (the default is no discount).  If you choose a discount here, it will be applied to the entire requisition total, so for a 10% discount off of the entire requisition total, you would choose 10% Trade Discount from the drop down box.
  • Enter any comments or information you would like Purchasing or the vendor to know about your order or choose from the standard comments listed in the dropdown. You can enter up to 2000 characters in the comments field.
    • If a check needs to accompany your order, please be sure that is clearly communicated in the comments field.
    • The comments field should only include instructions to the vendor, Purchasing, and/or Accounting.  No descriptions of the goods or services being ordered should be included here.
    • It is not necessary to describe the beginning and ending dates of your funding source in this section.
    • If you are copying and pasting into this field from another document, be sure that no special characters or scientific characters are pasted into the requisition.
  • If you would like the Dept. Chairperson and Dean or Director names to be pre-filled in the Printed Name field in the signature block on the printed copy of the requisition, enter those names in the fields provided. These names can also be pre-populated from your preferences.
  • Enter the vendor name and address. If you know the vendor number (or have looked it up using the link), enter it and click the “Get” button to retrieve the correct vendor information without having to key the name and address
    • If you choose to enter a vendor number and use the “Get” button, you should not make any changes to the vendor name or address. These will not be captured in the database or on your order. Only the initial information associated with the vendor number will be used. If an update needs to be made to the stored information, contact Purchasing at
  • Make any needed changes to your default ship-to address or enter your ship-to address in these fields
    • A ship-to address with a valid zip code must be entered for the order to be able to be sent to the vendor. It cannot be left blank.
    • If the requisition is for services, the ship-to address should be for the location at which the services will be performed.
  • Be sure to click “Save and Go to Items” to save your information and continue. If you do not, your information or changes will be lost. Use the second set of buttons to navigate to other pages without saving.

6. The items screen allows you to add items to your requisition.

  • The requisition number and total amount are displayed at the top. The dollar amounts are updated as items are added.
  • Enter the quantity and units as shown below.
    • The quantity must be in a whole number (no decimals or partial quantities are allowed) and cannot be a negative number.
    • The units field is required.  Common units used are EACH, TERM, and LOT.
    • Following is an example of how to correctly and incorrectly enter quantity and units for a common item.
Qty Units Cost Description
2.5 Hours 100 Consulting services Wrong
1 Lot 250 2.5 hours of consulting services Correct
  • The Discount and Category field are optional and do not need to be completed.
    • If you need to enter a discount for a specific item then you can click on the magnifying glass to select a percentage discount that will be applied to that item only.
    • If you would like a discount to be applied to the entire amount on the requisition (all the items), use the “Requisition Level Discount” box that appears on the previous screen above the Comments section.
    • You may also apply a specific dollar amount discount using negative dollar amounts in the unit cost of the line item.
  • Enter the cost of each item in the Unit Cost field
    • Small numbers can either be entered as 0.20 or .20 as you prefer, but this field only allows the entry of up to two decimal places.
    • Negative numbers (entered as -100 for example) may be used to indicate a discount.
  • Enter your item description in the Description block. This field contains the text explaining what is being ordered from the vendor and may contain up to 2000 characters, but please be as concise as possible.  Any comments to Purchasing should not be entered in the description field.
    • For example, if a check needs to be sent along with the order, make sure to clearly indicate this in the Comments section on the previous screen.
  • If you have a quote or long list of items, they may be attached to the paper copy, simply indicate “per attached quote” (as shown below) and be sure to send the information along with the printed requisition.
    Qty Units Cost Description
    1 LOT 3950.25 Per attached quote #1234XYZ dated 9-30-2008

    If there are 10 items or less on the quote, we recommend that you enter them directly in the requisition (or copy and paste) as this will electronically capture the information for future reference and cut down on paper used.  Enter or copy one line at a time into separate lines on the requisition vs. putting the whole description into one line.  If you are copying from another document, be sure not to copy any special or scientific characters that do not appear on a standard keyboard.

  • If you are receiving a discount on the items listed, you may either enter them using the “per attached quote” method (as shown below),
    Qty Units Cost Description
    1 Lot 3950.25 Per attached quote #1234XYZ dated 9-30-2008

    Or by describing the item in its entirety and using the total discounted price (as shown below),

    Qty Units Cost Description
    1 Lot 3950.25 Consulting Services including $100 discount provided on 9-30-2008 by John Smith

    Or by entering the item at full price and then entering a line with a negative number to indicate the discount (as shown below).

    Qty Units Cost Description
    1 LOT 4050.25 Per attached quote #1234XYZ dated 9-30-2008
    1 LOT -100.00 $100 discount provided on 9-30-2008 by John Smith
  • When finished click the “Save Item” button at the left to save the item and add it to your requisition. If you do not click Save Item, no items will print.

  • Once your item has been added, you may continue to enter as many items as necessary and the screen will appear as below
  • The total will be updated each time an item is saved
  • To make any changes to the item, choose “Edit” , but be sure to click the “Update” button to accept the changes
  • Once you have entered all items, click “Go to Funding” to continue as shown below
  • Note: Do not hand write any information on the requisition that has not been entered into the system. If the information is not in the system, we will not be able to get it on the order sent out to the vendor.

7. The funding screen allows you to add funding strings to your requisition.

  • The requisition number, total amount, and total funding amount are displayed at the top
  • Any funding strings (or partial funding strings) that are saved in your preferences will appear automatically
  • Choose “Edit” to make any changes/additions or begin typing in the blank row

  • Enter the funding string to be used as detailed below. Be sure to use SFS coding.
    • Enter the amount to be spent on this funding string.
    • Enter the appropriate 4 digit Account code which describes the category of items being purchased
    • Enter the 3 digit fund number which describes your funding source (for example 233 for gift funds)
    • Enter your 6 digit Department ID which is a number assigned to identify your department on campus (formerly called UDDS).
    • Enter the 1 digit Program code which describes the type of program costs associated with your funding.
    • Enter the 4 digit fiscal year, e.g. 2009 (The fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30, so fiscal year 2009 is July 1, 2008 to June 30, 2009).
    • Enter the 7 digit Project ID, if necessary, which describes your specific grant or other funding for this purchase.
    • Do not enter the Bldg. number unless it is actually required for your purchase (there are very few account codes that require it).
  • Once the funding string is entered be sure to choose “Update” or “Save Line” to save the funding and add it to you requisition. If you do not, no funding will appear on the printed requisition.
  • Once you choose Update or Save Line, the funding string will be edited to make sure the the project, program, department ID, fund, and account are a valid combination of funding.
  • Once the funding has been added, the total funding amount listed near the top of the screen will be updated.
  • Do not proceed to print unless your total requisition amount and total funding amount match. Repair the error before printing and submitting the requisition as Purchasing will not be able to process requisitions where the total amount and total funding amount do not match.
  • Note: Do not hand write any funding information on the requisition.  Be sure that the requisition being submitted has funding information entered into the requisition generator as Purchasing will not be able to process the order without it.

8. A print dialog box (as shown below) will appear. Choose “Open” to open and print the document.

9. Your final document will open in Adobe Acrobat (as below) and can be printed and saved. The file is automatically named as the requisition number (101k684.pdf in this example). Print the number of copies specified by your Dean’s office and have the final requisition document routed and signed according to your Dean’s office procedures.

10. Close or save your requisition and then use the “Go to Main Menu” button at the bottom of the screen (shown below) to return to the main menu and create another requisition or use the other navigation buttons to make any changes to your requisition.

11. For further information, see the Frequently Asked Questions or Obtaining Help for the Requisition Generator.

How To Obtain Shipping Services at UW-Madison

How To Obtain Shipping Services at UW-Madison

Effective June 13, 2022, the UPS express package and delivery related services contract with E&I expired. UPS is not accepting new account requests to receive E&I discounts; however, your account is automatically migrating to the NASPO contract managed by the Department of Administration. The migration was completed in early June 2022. Shipping rates may double on the upcoming contract (see FAQ below for more information).

Due to market unpredictability, users are encouraged to procure services through FedEx, UPS, and USPS to receive the best pricing.

Please refer to the user guides for information on setting up accounts, navigating the contracts, and points of contact. FedEx and UPS user guides can be found in the documents section (bottom of page) on VendorNet. You can find information about USPS in this USPS user guide (PDF).

How to obtain outbound shipping services at UW–Madison

A purchasing card (PCard) must be used to setup new accounts for express package and delivery related service payments. UW–Madison will no longer be using funding strings as payment on new accounts for these types of services.

  • For PCard information, please contact .
  • For billing plan or invoice information, please contact .
  • For service-related questions, please contact the vendor. Their contacts are provided in the user guides.

Key benefits

  • The FedEx and UPS NASPO contracts 505ENT-O22-SMLPAKGDLV-00 have a lot of buying power consolidated, so they offer the best pricing.
  • USPS is exempt from spend thresholds (best judgement, simplified bid, etc.); therefore, a contract isn’t required, so services aren’t limited to a contract term.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What changes can I expect on the upcoming UPS/NASPO Contract?
Pickup fees will be waived, and fuel surcharges capped at 7%, but all other charges and value-added services are list rates, in comparison to discounts in the previous contract. We will not receive the discounts we are accustomed to, and per package rates may double.

UPS’s Daily Rate and Service Guide, and Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service in effect at time of shipment will be incorporated into your shipping agreement. Only terms and conditions required by State law are incorporated into the contract, so most clauses we are accustomed to referencing will not be included.

What are my payment options?
If you are setting up a new account, use your PCard as the payment method.

If you have an existing account that uses another means of payment, those accounts can remain as is until further notice.

What do I do about service areas vendors cannot handle?
Please use best judgement, simplified bid, or contact purchasing services if costs exceed $50,000.

How do I find a drop box nearest to my location?
To find the nearest location to drop off your packages, please consult the following sites: UPS, FedEx, USPS.

How to Sell, Dispose of, or Trade In an Item or Piece of Equipment

How to Sell, Dispose of, or Trade In an Item or Piece of Equipment

Purchasing Services has the sole authority for disposal of surplus and abandoned property at UW–Madison (other than titled and licensed vehicles which are handled by the Department of Administration – refer to UW Policy 3056). When possible all surplus property sales are conducted at the SWAP (Surplus with a Purpose) Warehouse, located at 1061 Thousand Oaks Trail, Verona, Wisconsin.

Sales and disposal of surplus items

For most items, the process begins by contacting SWAP via the completion of a Surplus Property Pick-Up Request Form. SWAP collects all reusable, repairable, or salvageable surplus equipment from the UW–Madison campus and state agencies in the Madison area, but will NOT collect items which are unsafe to handle or intended for recycling or disposal by another State department. Please consult the guide below for more information and contact SWAP if you are unsure whether or not they are able to collect your materials. Depending on the value and type of items received, SWAP may choose to list items in their inventory and/or an online auction. Profits from the sales will be returned to departments according to the current SWAP revenue sharing rate (PDF).

 Items Collected by SWAP

  • All computer equipment, regardless of condition or age
  • Computer monitors ($7 each charge)
  • Televisions ($10 each charge)
  • Freon-containing equipment – refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners ($10 each charge)
  • Functional office supplies (please sort)
  • Copiers and large printers ($.20 per lb if over 50 lbs and unsalable)
  • Complete and functional office furniture (e.g., desks, chairs)
  • Clean, reusable labware
  • Non-hazardous lab equipment
  • Books
  • Tools and hardware
  • Electrical equipment, including motors regardless of condition
  • Appliances regardless of condition

 Items NOT Accepted by SWAP

Contact SWAP for alternative disposal options.

  • Liquids, powders, or aerosol sprays of any kind
  • Mercury-containing equipment
  • Asbestos-containing equipment or material
  • Dismantled modular workstations
  • Incomplete or broken furniture (desks with missing drawers, broken chairs, etc.)
  • Mattresses
  • Sharp hazards as defined by Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) (e.g., needles, broken glass)
  • Contaminated lab ware and equipment with radioactive sources
  • Plate glass (handling hazard)
  • Dismantled shelving
  • Paints, paint removers
  • Light fixtures and fluorescent bulbs

For information on the disposal of hazardous materials or animals (live or dead), please see the Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) website or call (608) 262-5000.

Trading in an item

For items which will be associated with a formal bidding process, trade in language can be added to the bid as a part of the package. Alternately, SWAP may provide a better return on your investment by offering the item for sale to a targeted audience. If you are interested in trading in a piece of equipment, please contact the purchasing agent responsible for that commodity area to discuss the trade and determine if it will offer the best value for your items. University departments are NOT authorized to trade in or dispose of state property to persons or organizations outside UW- Madison without Purchasing Services approval.

For more information

See UW Policy 3057 (Disposal of Surplus University Property), contact SWAP, or contact the purchasing agent responsible for the items you are interested in disposing of or trading in.

How To Obtain/Apply for a Taxpayer Identification Number for Non-Resident Aliens (NRA’s) Receiving Any Payment From UW-Madison

How To Obtain/Apply for a Taxpayer Identification Number for Non-Resident Aliens (NRA's) Receiving Any Payment From UW-Madison

All persons receiving tax reportable payments from UW-Madison must have, or have applied for (proof required), a United States Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN). For individuals the Taxpayer Identification number can be a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). For businesses the Taxpayer Identification Number is an Employer Identification Number (EIN) or a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN).

The flowchart below outlines the requirements for obtaining or applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for all Nonresident Aliens (NRA’s) that are being paid through the University of Wisconsin.

As stated in the flowchart, please make sure that if your nonresident alien visitor needs an SSN or an ITIN that you plan ahead of their visit and schedule appointments ahead of time to have them apply for their numbers. The University of Wisconsin ITIN Acceptance Agent requires appointments for all ITIN applications. Please do not send your foreign visitors or students to the University of Wisconsin ITIN Acceptance Agent without appointments.

Download PDF of flowchart.

How To Determine Which Tax Related Documents are Required When Making Non-Payroll Payments at UW-Madison

How To Determine Which Tax Related Documents are Required When Making Non-Payroll Payments at UW-Madison

The flowchart below guides you in determining which tax related documents are required when making payments at UW-Madison. This is especially important when making payments to Nonresident Alien (NRA) visitors because additional immigration (visa restrictions, documentation, etc.) and tax (tax treaties, etc.) issues are involved. For example, for NRA’s the visa type determines the kind of payments the UW is allowed to make to the NRA. Please make sure you review flowchart as part of your planning process ahead of the visitor arriving because these requirements must be adhered to.

If you still have tax related questions after reviewing our tax web pages please contact your Dean’s Office for assistance.

NOTE: If the payment for services performed by an NRA is being made to their company (i.e., invoice received by UW by NRA’s company), the UW is required to treat the payment as being made to the NRA for required immigration and taxation purposes. As such all the required immigration documentation and taxation listed in the flowchart below must be followed for the NRA, not their company.

Visit the Tax Compliance And Reporting guide for more information

How to Secure Lease or Purchase Financing

How to Secure Lease or Purchase Financing

To acquire financing for a lease/purchase transaction, contact the purchasing agent for the commodity you are interested in acquiring. The agent will help you complete a requisition for “lease” of equipment or for the purchase involving financing, and will guide you along in the process.

All lease/purchase financing must be conducted through the Department of Capital Finance on the established bulletin for financing. The only exception would be financing required by a mandatory state bulletin.

How to Make Expenditures from UW Foundation Accounts

How to Make Expenditures from UW Foundation Accounts

Procedure for making expenditures from University Accounts using Foundation Funds

  • Transfer money from the appropriate UW Foundation accounts to a new or existing Fund 233 projects at the University by following the instructions in “Requesting Gift Funds from UW Foundation”.
  • Make your expenditure from the Fund 233 project following University directions described in “How to Make A Purchase“.
  • Such money should be transferred prior to making the expenditure from the 233 Project.

Procedure for making expenditures directly from Foundation Funds

  • Determine that making the expenditure directly from the UW Foundation is appropriate.
  • To the maximum extent possible, University expenditures are to be made from University Accounts using procedure 1 above.
  • Only those expenditures which are necessary to support ongoing programs where the expenditure is not allowed by University or State regulations and where you feel comfortable explaining the reasonableness of the expenditure if it is challenged in the press or in public, should be made directly from the Foundation. See the last section of this August 2009 email about UW-Madison and UW Foundation Policies (PDF) for examples of typically appropriate and typically inappropriate transactions.
  • Complete a UW Foundation Check/ACH Request Form on the WFAA Advancement Resources website and route the form and all documentation through your Dean or Director’s office for approval.
  • Remember that documentation of these transactions is considered a public record.

For more complete information about the relationship of the UW Foundation and the University see the Chancellor’s August 2009 email about UW Madison and UW Foundation Policies (PDF).

In e-Reimbursement, the traveler will be reimbursed for both Foundation and UW expenditures by the University upon approval of their expense report. The University will then collect the UW Foundation portion of the payment from the Foundation accounts specified when the expense report is filed.

  • The traveler prepares and submits the expense report. The receipt packet must include detailed receipts for expenses over $25 and the business reason and justification for the expense that will be charged to the Foundation.
  • Ensure that the expense to be charged to the Foundation is in compliance with UW-Madison and UW Foundation Policies.
  • Only expenses that cannot be paid by the UW are allowed to be split and charged to the UW Foundation by Approvers.
  • All expenses charged to the UW Foundation must have a valid, open, UW Foundation account number and funds available to cover the expense.
  • The specific names of persons for whom expenses were incurred must be entered in e-Reimbursement. General terms such as “staff” or “donors” are not sufficient.
  • Receipts to support the expense must be obtained and retained according to UW procedures and available upon request by UW Foundation staff.
  • Accounting Services will bill UW Foundation weekly.
  • Auditors will reconcile the receivable account monthly.

 Step-by-step instructions

  1. Click the Expense Details link.
  2. Display the funding string for the appropriate expense by expanding the two grey arrows (left of the date and left of the Accounting Details).
  3. If splitting the charge between a UW funding string and Foundation funding, click the plus sign to the far right of the funding string (you will have to use the scroll bar below the funding string).
  4. Change the account code to 6240 for the funding line being charged to Foundation funding.  Hit ‘tab’ when finished.  Do not delete the rest of the funding string.
  5. Click the Foundation link to the left of the funding string.  Enter the 9-digit Foundation account number, the Foundation account description, and the reason for using Foundation funding.  Click OK.
  6. Update the amounts to reflect the proper split between UW funding and Foundation funding.
  7. For Hosted Meals, click the Additional Attendees link.  Add the names and affiliations of the additional attendees, if not already done so.

How to Obtain Products or Equipment for Trial, Evaluation, Demonstration or Loan

How to Obtain Products or Equipment for Trial, Evaluation, Demonstration or Loan

ll vendors providing the University with property for evaluation, trial, or loan must complete a Product Evaluation Letter or Product Evaluation Agreement.

Insurance coverage for products offered to the University on an evaluation, trial, or loan basis is normally provided by the vendor. The University may accept the risk in certain instances as approved by Risk Management.

  1. Contact the appropriate Purchasing Agent to have a Product Evaluation Letter sent, informing the vendor of our insurance and purchasing requirements. This must be done prior to the University’s receipt of property.
  2. If the vendor requires a PO:
    • The Purchasing Agent can advise the vendor that a Product Evaluation Agreement can be prepared and sent to them in place of the PO. This is a formal agreement as opposed to the evaluation letter.
    • If this is acceptable to the vendor, the agent will prepare and process the agreement.
    • No zero dollar purchase orders (POs) can be issued for evaluation of property.
  3. If the vendor insists there is a “contractual obligation” or the department and vendor have agreed the University will accept the insurance risk, the department must contact Risk Management for approval. Additional information regarding the Risk Management requirements is available through their Property Program website (see paragraph beginning with “Borrowed Property”).